Slot load drives in PowerBook

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Does Apple only use one model of drive in the PowerBook models? I have a Matshita CW-8121 combo drive and I'm having some problems that have been attributed to the drive in some online forums (unable to read some DVD-Rs ... unable to play/mount some DVDs , Ronin in my case). I want to know if I can maybe send it into an Apple Repair Shop and get the drive replaced with another model....

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    I have a new 12inch Powerbook and watched Ronin yesterday on my flight home. I have the Superdrive DVD-R/CDRW.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    pyr3pyr3 Posts: 946member
    The drive continuously spits it out for me (not probs with any other DVD) and sometimes it will decide to mount it, but when I try to use DVD Player, that will crash with disc errors. That, and I can't read the DVD-Rs that I burn with my new DVD burner, though every other computer I have access to reads them.

In the middle of writing this I got sidetracked and it might be due to the fact that CompUSA is using Princo as the manufacturer for their house brand discs ... (checked using "cdrecord-prodvd -atip") I think that I might just go with Ritek for a spindle...
  • Reply 3 of 5
    imacfanimacfan Posts: 444member
    I think it may just be one of those things - My Graphite iBook did the same thing just about with The Green Mile.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    pyr3pyr3 Posts: 946member
    Well, let's get back on to my original topic. My PowerBook drive won't read the DVD-R media that I feed it (burned on another computer with a Pioneer DVR-105). It is the drive that has the problem. It grinds away at the disc for about 30 seconds, making all kinds of noises and then spits it back out to me. The first DVD-R manufacturer that I used was CompUSA DVD-Rs .. which my DVD burning software identified as 'Princo' manufactured. And I just tried FujiFilm discs, which seem to be Taio-Yoden (sp?) manufactured?. It has to be the drive, because these discs read in 3 other DVD-ROM drives that I own (one was the drive that burned it)..... Now here is the question : Do you think that if I take this to Apple support I can get a DVD-ROM/CD-RW slot load to replace it, that is of a different manufacturer and/or model? Or does Apple only use one model/manufacturer for each PowerBook revision? I'm thinking that maybe getting a different model will improve DVD-R read compatibility. (Mine is a Matshita CW-8121, which seems to have some DVD problems according to xlr8yourmac.com)

Note: I've had the 'grind' problem with a couple CD-Rs too ... but that is a few and far between problem. All discs that I've had problems with work on every other machine I've tested them on.

This is very frustrating since my PowerBook is the computer that I want to use these discs with .... for now I just have to backup the files, but I can only use them on other computers ...
  • Reply 5 of 5
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Sorry, OT:

I'm pissed my SuperDrive can't burn a single DVD. Every one in Toast 5.2.1 says HARDWARE SENSE ERROR 0x003 or whatever DISC FAILED! The credits of Star Wars 2 now crash my set top DVD player and Apple DVD Player. At least it gets to the credits, but...So much for a perfect clone...