So the world is FUBAR, whatcha goin' to do?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Many of the discussions in AO revolve around what terrible things are happening in the world, the current trend is what terrible things the Bush admin is doing. My question and challenge to everyone is what are you doing to make the world a more decent place to live? Are you a voter? Are you involved in protest movements? Are you volunteering your time to the needy? Etc... What are you going to do to make the world a better place?

Myself, I'm applying as a volunteer as a big brother, something I have experience in, (3 little sisters will keep you on your toes) I also vote, Libertarian(Harry Brown).

So go do something.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    I'm moving to Canada.
  • Reply 2 of 20
    I read AO so that others don't have to
  • Reply 3 of 20
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    i like to bitch and moan. occassionally i try to convince people of my righteousness through online bb postings, but they are mostly futile. complaining is a lot easier and more convenient.
  • Reply 4 of 20
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    I'd move to Canada like B, but I have to have a work visa first. Hard to come by those these days.

• Reply 5 of 20
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    I'm going to Disneyland.

Well at least for about 3 days in the last week of August since we have annual passes.

Nick
  • Reply 6 of 20
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    I'm goin' get drunk and screw.
  • Reply 7 of 20
    I live in Canada...

BTW is FUBAR

F***ed Up Beyond All Recognition.

or

F***ed Up Beyond All Repair.

???
  • Reply 8 of 20
    artman @_@artman @_@ Posts: 2,546member
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by LiquidR

Quote:

Are you a voter?

Ha. Look at what choices we have...I'll get back to you on that...maybe.

Quote:

Are you involved in protest movements?

Sorry, but don't want to be on Ashcroft's "watch list".

Quote:

Are you volunteering your time to the needy?

I consider myself needy right now.

Quote:

Etc... What are you going to do to make the world a better place?

Stand back and watch it explode.

Quote:

Myself, I'm applying as a volunteer as a big brother, something I have experience in, (3 little sisters will keep you on your toes) I also vote, Libertarian(Harry Brown).

More power to you. But I would need a comfortable income myself if I would want to contribute to anything (what, take my "little brother" out for Happy Meals once a week?). I would do anything for my immediate family. But since I have no real job, no signifigant other or children...why bother?

Quote:

So go do something.

First concern right now is myself. Then maybe if I succeed I'll contribute like I did sometimes before.

Voting for anything is out of the question. Replacing one idiot with another gets more redundant over time...and the sheeple's choices win everytime.
  • Reply 9 of 20
    liquidrliquidr Posts: 884member
    Skepticism and cynicism mixed with hope, compassion and a will is healty. Nihilism is not.

You say you have to concentrate on you first, I say with honesty wonderful. But concentrating on yourself also means cutting out the crap, how much do you spend on junk that is not needed, you've still got a full belly right? There are those who cannot get a good meal let alone have access to computers with online services. How many impulse buys do you make? Myself? Probably too much. But I want to make a difference, I don't have money(gross 17K annual) and little time, but I'll give what I can.

We discuss the problems that we all face in the global arena. Bravo, discourse is healthy, but with no action "talk is cheap".

You say voting is worthless, it is when the right to is cast aside, people have died for that right, not just soldiers, but civilians fighting in a racist culture, just to have some dignity. The voter turn out rate is less than 50%, what if 50% of the educated cynics went to vote, perhaps it would be enough to begin with, changes do not always come quickly and they are never easy.

You say you are afraid of Ashcroft, Benjamin Franklin said

Quote:

"Those who would trade freedom for security deserve neither freedom nor security".

Also to quote a fave movie of mine

Quote:

"All men die, only a few truely live!" Braveheart

• Reply 10 of 20
    pigpig Posts: 17member
    What's wrong with you people? You complain about opression and how unfair it is, but you're unwilling to work or fight for the freedom you want? Grow a pair. Do some good for the world, take some pride in yourself, have some civic pride, the community ain't gonna give you nuthin' if you don't put into it. Catch my drift?
  • Reply 11 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by LiquidR

You say voting is worthless, it is when the right to is cast aside, people have died for that right, not just soldiers, but civilians fighting in a racist culture, just to have some dignity. The voter turn out rate is less than 50%, what if 50% of the educated cynics went to vote, perhaps it would be enough to begin with, changes do not always come quickly and they are never easy.

I like what you're saying, but don't get hung up on telling people that voting counts because anyone with half a clue knows that it doesn't and it just devalues the rest of what you say.
  • Reply 12 of 20
    Tell that to the blacks that were beaten, tortured and hung during the turn of the century in the south. Just so they could vote. It may not matter in the selection of our leaders, but it does matter. It is a matter of pride. Hell if Ventura can get elected as a gov. maybe the voice of the people can be heard in the electoral process.

originally posted by Wickes

Quote:

BTW is FUBAR

F***ed Up Beyond All Recognition.

or

F***ed Up Beyond All Repair.

Either or. Depends on the situation I think.
  • Reply 13 of 20
    Quote:

Tell that to the blacks that were beaten, tortured and hung during the turn of the century in the south. Just so they could vote.

Not so *they* could vote. So that *all blacks* (apart from some in Florida who happened to have the wrong name) could vote. Two different things.

I'm just tired of people saying you can't complain if you don't vote when you just have to think for a second to see that there is no point in large numbers of people voting as their vote has no chance of influencing the outcome.

I would rather see the system changed to make every vote count than make people feel guilty for not carrying out an essentially meaningless task.
  • Reply 14 of 20
    marsmars Posts: 51member
    I fly humanitarian aid down in Central America.

Otherwise I post at fubarforums.
  • Reply 15 of 20
    originally posted by stupider like a fox

Quote:

Not so *they* could vote. So that *all blacks* (apart from some in Florida who happened to have the wrong name) could vote. Two different things.

Literacy tests, poll tax, land ownership requirements, these lasted well into the twentieth century. If someone protested then they found themselves some extra hardships to add on to what they already faced. Don't believe me here is a link.
  • Reply 16 of 20
    You're still missing my point.

If I got to cast 10,000 votes then it would be worth my while turning up as I could do enough to make a candidate pay attention to my needs. So getting the vote for the poor, blacks, women etc. is a worthy task both practically and morally.

But with the way the larger system of democracy is set up now, today, you can have situations where millions of people may as well stay home and not bother voting as it won't make any difference to the outcome whatever they vote for.

Telling these people that they have to vote, when it is plainly pointless, is counterproductive and distracts from the very real disenfranchisement and resultant voter apathy that is occuring still and there appears little political impetus to change.
  • Reply 17 of 20
    No I get your point, the system doesn't work. What I'm saying is that voting is a form of symbolic dignity, first increase voter turnout substantially then fix the system. B/c the system won't get fixed if there isn't a showing. We have to show that we care first.

It is also a form of honoring those that made the sacrifices in the past.
  • Reply 18 of 20
    Quote:

It is also a form of honoring those that made the sacrifices in the past.

Changeing the system so it better reflects the will of the people would honor those who made sacrifices.

Taking a few minutes out of your day to cast a meaningless vote honors no-one.

And we have to "show we care" by casting votes that *everyone* knows are meaningless before the system will change? I don't follow the logic.

Just look at the constant gerrymandering, the pathetic pandering to swing voters in marginal states/regions and the many other games and ruses of modern politics.

Giving these people an illusory people's mandate is the last thing I would want to do.
  • Reply 19 of 20
    artman @_@artman @_@ Posts: 2,546member
    Quote:

Skepticism and cynicism mixed with hope, compassion and a will is healty. Nihilism is not.

You say you have to concentrate on you first, I say with honesty wonderful. But concentrating on yourself also means cutting out the crap, how much do you spend on junk that is not needed, you've still got a full belly right?

No. I don't. I have been cutting off A LOT of my "luxuries" and "disposable incomes" for the last three years. I haven't gone to a movie in over a year. I cut off my cable service and haven't bought any CDs, videos or DVDs in over a year. My money has gone to food (the same godamn food every ****ing week, month and year for three years) and rent. The only "luxury" I invested in was a PS 2 and even now I really don't know if I will afford to rent DVDs or games with my salary.

Whatever you meant by my "luxury" of internet access...well, it's on a 56k modem. I still need it for communicating with my partners in our company. A company that still has a long way to go in making any profit. If it succeeds in paying my rent and if my $7.50 an hour retail job ever becomes more than that (I doubt it) I'll contribute to what I feel is a good cause. That's freedom baby. But contributing has its price.

As far as politics are concerned...nothing changes...it has taken it's course. We cannot turn it back. If you don't realize this then your blind.

I'll leave you with a couple of quotes...

"Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he doesn't become a monster."

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

Now excuse me while I fire up some corn dogs for dinner...
  • Reply 20 of 20
    pigpig Posts: 17member
    Well, Nietztche didn't take into account the fact that those thinking alike would be sorry sacks that do nothing but think of themselves.

If you really want to be different walk out to a city with a basket of sandwiches and soup and give em to some homeless people. If you want to think differently get involved civically. That includes voting. Voting don't matta you say, it don't matta 'cuz you people are too lily-livered to do anything when the man that you voted for screws you over. You vote along party lines, Democrat, Republican whatever, you are f-ing people first and show some compassion and don't get your panties all in a bunch cuz' someone disagrees. Have a debate, yes, but people arent gonna change their minds cuz you decided to be an asshole.

If it don't work, FRIGGIN FIX IT! You pigs keep consumin' and complain' and expect someone else to fix things. Well too bad if you ain't gonna get of your lazy keister. Things will keep gettin' screwed up for the little people 'cuz as long as you got your internet, fast food and easy access entertainment why the hell should you raise your hand for the starving, the oppressed, the murdered. But damn you sure do get your ass in gear when your cable is out, when your precious computer is broken. Waagh you big baby, shut up!