Longhorn

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
source :

http://www.microsoft-watch.com/artic...1090247,00.asp

Meanwhile, here's what we know (more or less) in terms of what Microsoft's promising for Longhorn - based on info Microsoft shared at WinHEC, plus tips from some of our best tattlers.

Natural-language query capabiities. No longer will users have to go on lengthy (and often fruitless) quests for files and data stored on their PCs, local networks and/or the Web. Instead, they will be able to type in commands (such as, "Find all the spreadsheets I generated last year that included sales data from Bob Jones"), and Longhorn will auto-magically return the results

Yeah, Right.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    User: Find all the spreadsheets I generated last year that included sales data from Bob Jones.

Longhorn: I'm sorry Dave, I can't do that.

• Reply 2 of 6
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    ... at which point IE obediently launches a browser aimed at last year's financials for Bob Jones University, in .XLS format.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    Or IE launches and shows the names and phone #'s of Bob Jones Martial Arts.

Eh, it's not as funny the third time.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    kelibkelib Posts: 740member
    What a mega monster Longhorn will be
  • Reply 5 of 6
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Natural language recognition? I'll believe it when I see it.

It has been 'the next big thing' for over a decade now. The cynic in me says don't hold your breath. Each generation of speech interfaces have been hyped as actually functional but consistently failed to deliver.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Applescript is that concept, in a way.