Escape Velocity Re-released for OS X :D

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Ambrosia rereleases Escape Velocity and EV: Override

Quote:

Check your calendar: It's May 5th 1996, and the world just isn't what it used to be. On this day things were changed forever, when Escape Velocity was released...

Rochester, NY -- April 18, 2003 -- Ambrosia Software, Inc. announced today the rerelease of their original, classic epic space game, Escape Velocity and it's sequel EV: Override. The difference? They are now native for Mac OS X and Windows and free for registered EV Nova customers!

Ported by Ambrosia, w00tWare and Michael Judkins, the re-releases run through the improved game engine of EV: Nova; you can now join the rebellion on Mac OS X or battle the Voinians on Windows, all the while benefit from the advances, additions and refinements of Nova's engine.

Lovingly hand-crafted by programmer Matt Burch, Escape Velocity offers a rich and open-ended environment that evolves as you play. Over a hundred worlds occupy the galaxy, each with its own technology, alliances, and commodities. As you earn credits and gain fame, Confederation peace keepers and Rebel patriots struggle for power, leaving you in the middle.

EV: Override is Ambrosia's huge follow up to the classic Escape Velocity. With an immersive story and universe created by Peter Cartwright, a new conflict begins to unfold. Override features a universe five times the size of the original game, and a slew of populated worlds within. Winning critical battles can change the face of the universe, or, if you're happy with the existing balance of power, you can make a living as a humble trader. Just watch out for those pesky renegades, who want nothing more than to swipe the precious cargo from your holds. Additionally, the game contains stunning new graphics and sound, over 250 new missions, a multitude of human and alien governments, and all the excitement of the original EV game.

These releases require a registered version of Nova to use, but being drag & drop they are simpler to install than a cloaking device! The great news is they are free, making registering Nova now an even better deal than before, 3 epic titles for the price of one! All the credits you save should go towards that first laser cannon!!

Sweet.

It runs as a plugin in EV Nova, if EV was before your time go back and check it out, and if you loved EV back-in-the-day then I'm sure you're all smiling. If you've got a Win box remember that EV Nova, and thus EV/EVO, now runs on Windows.

Download Mac and Win versions here.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    WOAH EVN is only $30?!?! i thought it was like $70

damn as soon as I get more HD space I am getting EVN!!! (I will refuse to play it until I do EV and EVO in order of course...)
  • Reply 2 of 7
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    More things to append to my list of software my Mac needs.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    agent302agent302 Posts: 974member
    I tried to get them last night, but the server time out on me. Escape Velocity is seriously like the best game ever!
  • Reply 4 of 7
    serranoserrano Posts: 1,806member
    Yes, it is.

The servers were timing out on me too, but they seem to be up now.

Edit, you do need to be a registered user to run ev and evo.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    Two thumbs up!

Everyone, at least try EV Nova, then pay for it if you like it! Fantastic Mac shareware like EV needs to be supported!

Barto

EDIT: Man does EV and EVO look dated...
  • Reply 6 of 7
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    one of the most addictive games ever.

2 friends of mine bought a Mac just to play the game
  • Reply 7 of 7
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    Man, I loved EV, and I loved EVO, but EVN just didn't do it for me, I don't know, maybe I just wasn't in the mood for that type of game(I'm a very fickle gamer) when I tried it out, but I lost interest really quickly around the time when I was enslaved by some drug cartel and forced to do their dirty work, or something like that

but...EV is still super sweet, and so is EVO so, I'll be checkin this out.

although, I remember one of the things I enjoyed so much about EVO, was a couple of the old 3rd party mods, little things here and there, a few extra missions, a few new ships and new weapons, but they really made the game for me. hope that I can still find them.