Anyone else fail to see talents of P.Diddy?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Was watching this biography type show on Puff Daddy or whatever name he goes by today.

Today he's an extremely wealthy man hop knobbing with the rich and famous in Monaco and attending fashion shows.

Maybe it's just me, but I can't see the talent or creativity in this man at all. He may be a good promoter and a flamboyant, charismatic person. But his music is pretty lame. He's not a very good singer or rapper. And his fashion line "Sean Jean" is just the same old hackneyed stuff every other wannabe fashion designer churns out.

He's got to where he is by spotting talent and hiring them onto his label. As they say, the first million is the hardest...after that it's not that hard to leverage that into making more.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    he used Biggie smalls death to propell himself to fame, his "heartfelt" tribute song made him wads of cash, from there on out he just used his "skills" as a producer and business man.

all the real money in the music business is found in producing, and that's what he does. can he rap? no, not really, can he sing? not very well, can he dance? well sortof he kind of wobbles a little from time to time and he does that headless chicken dance on the "I need a girl (pt2)" video

his talent, I'd say, he is good at making money, he knows where to pull the strings to best benefit himself.
  • Reply 2 of 16
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    Not only do I fail to see any talent, I also think he's a bit of a douche bag.
  • Reply 3 of 16
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    No credibility. He's a rich biach. Gimme something fresh and sincere like Black Eyed Peas. Puff Daddy, P. Daddy, Mr. Daddy, whatever they call him. They called him Puff Daddy, then P Diddy, pretty soon he's just going to be Puh!
  • Reply 4 of 16
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Wow I have a palindrome of posts! I'll have to be quiet for a while.

Seriously though, I don't get money rap? How can it be cool to listen to some guy rap about how much richer than you he is!? And why do people wear shirts with ads for companies like Sean Jean or Gap or Old Navy or Aabercrombie and Fitch? I never got that. Whatever. P knows he has no respect in the real music community. There are some brilliant new artists out. Of course they only get play on Fuse (was Much Music.) MTV is such a sellout. MTV2 occasionally picks up stuff, after months of play on Fuse.
  • Reply 5 of 16
    Hey, in the music business you don't make money being an artist, you make it being a product, or a manufactuer.
  • Reply 6 of 16
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    Puffy got mad skillz, yo.

• Reply 7 of 16
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

Wow I have a palindrome of posts! I'll have to be quiet for a while.

Seriously though, I don't get money rap? How can it be cool to listen to some guy rap about how much richer than you he is!? And why do people wear shirts with ads for companies like Sean Jean or Gap or Old Navy or Aabercrombie and Fitch? I never got that. Whatever. P knows he has no respect in the real music community. There are some brilliant new artists out. Of course they only get play on Fuse (was Much Music.) MTV is such a sellout. MTV2 occasionally picks up stuff, after months of play on Fuse.

It can be rather difficult to find quality shirts without ads. There are some shirts(like Quiksilver) that have a very small ad.

We now return you to your regulary scheduled programming.
  • Reply 8 of 16
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    not really, a friend of mine gets unmarked shirts for like 6 bucks a pop, any color, last a long time.

He later added "Honyok" to all of them
  • Reply 9 of 16
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    P.Diddy is a joke.

As another famous rapper said "Hip Hop is in a state of 9-1-1"

Why no talent hacks like P.Diddy cram the airwaves while groups like Blackalicious and Jlive get passed over is beyond me.

Guess that's why I haven't bought a Hip Hop album since Blazin' Arrow.
  • Reply 10 of 16
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    Well, he says business and fashion are what he really cares about, and music is just secondary. One talent I see is his ability to blend in with many different kinds of people. I noticed not too long ago how very differently he markets himself to different audiences. He will put on the thug act one minute and the bi-sexual fashionista the next. He all but admits that his music is horrible by saying that it is not his art. So, in the end, he actually has been very smart about what he is doing. Hell, any press is good press, and look how much you folks are focusing on him. Notice that no one ever talks about insane clown posse? That's because they suck from every angle.

As for christina aguilera, I can't figure out why that dumbass needs to keep showing up on my TV and forcing me to switch the channel.
  • Reply 11 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

P.Diddy is a joke.

As another famous rapper said "Hip Hop is in a state of 9-1-1"

Why no talent hacks like P.Diddy cram the airwaves while groups like Blackalicious and Jlive get passed over is beyond me.

Guess that's why I haven't bought a Hip Hop album since Blazin' Arrow.

Most folks in that sector of the industry have been really apologetic about it. They repeatedly say that folks like jay-z really are good, but need to make pop music for a living, and then cite older or obscure work of these artists.

I thik the problem with hip-hop actually rests on the sholders of the lower levels of the community. It's pretty clear that the drive to innovate is lacking. There is far too much emphasis on the 'MC' (like eminem) and too little on innovation of the composition as a whole. ?uest did a really amazing job with common sense's newest album, but that was really one of the first I have heard in a long time that was truely innovative across the board (though common sense himself very much peaked with ressurection and will probably never meet that skill level again).

Even Chocolate Industries (Spin's #1 up-and-coming label, the industry leader in glitch-hop and which consists of many of my buddies) still has too much segregation between producers and lyricists.

Of course, both my graffiti style and my hip-hop taste have always been much more focused on a sort of modernized old-school, so I've had a hard time thinking good about anything beyond Rawkus or those folks collected on the great lyricist lounge comps.
  • Reply 12 of 16
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    Quote:

There is far too much emphasis on the 'MC' (like eminem) and too little on innovation of the composition as a whole.

That's because people livin' like they ain't go no mama.

I think whole world's addicted to the drama,

Only attracted to things that'll bring the trauma.

If by innovate you mean rap about something other than killing rivals, boinkin hoes and truckin the large green, I agree. The Hip Hop industry refuses to innovate.

I'll be perfectly honest: on rare occasion when I hear someone who has genuinely put some thought into their words, and who genuinely are trying to create a vivid image (whether fictitious or not) for the listener, I can admit the stuff isn't bad. Rap is basically poetry that is spoken to (bad IMO) music, but I can only listen to so many poems about makin' money, treating women like dirt and all the rest. Write something original for Christ's sake.

I'll give you an example. Back in 1990 Ice-T wrote The OG. Whether you like rap or not, if you can listen closely to some of those lyrics (some sucked admittedly), and say you don't see the talent of the writer then you're just being bull-headed.

Mind OVER Matter, ya'll.

• Reply 13 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by Moogs

If by innovate you mean rap about something other than killing rivals, boinkin hoes and truckin the large green, I agree. The Hip Hop industry refuses to innovate.

Actually, I don't really care what subject people rap about; I tend to like wordplay with any subject. When I mean 'innovate', I am referring to the conservative leaning that hip-hop has taken. Few people are willing to take risks with overall production and there is entirely too much seperation between the vocalist and the instruments. Rather than have an interesting interaction between all elements of the music, the dominant school of hip-hop treats the background as simply a pedestal for the lyricist. The most high-profile opponent of this trend is missy elliot. What's sad is how she is secretly (or not so secretly, depending on who you ask) looked down upon in some circles for using interesting musical tactics, rather than focusing so much on MCing. Or take Tash as an example of how little subject matters. The content tends to be alcohol and women, but he is unbelievably good. The words and rhythms are music in themselves.

I don't remember if each school has a particular name associated with it (anyone know?). And I'm not totally opposed to the direction MC focused hip-hop is taking, I just feel that it is the weak link in hip-hop's ability to grow. Hopefully in the near future, what has been learned through that tangent can be combined with the leaps that have been made in production in other sectors of the industry and we can have a wonderful new form of hip-hop. As mentioned above, there are some groups starting.
  • Reply 14 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by giant

As for christina aguilera, I can't figure out why that dumbass needs to keep showing up on my TV and forcing me to switch the channel.

Hey, don't knock Xtina...that girl can sing.
  • Reply 15 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by kneelbeforezod

Hey, don't knock Xtina...that girl can sing.

I think some chunks just climbed up my throat.

• Reply 16 of 16
    Have I got time to say that i despise Puffed-up Diddy. What an ego, I haven't got a link but the last quote of his I remember was something like, " celeberities dating other celebrities, I like basically started all of that"

Musically he sucks , in fact in every way he sucks, satan's dick. ( Copyright Bill Hicks RIP )