how long to encode an svcd?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
i'm not sure if this is a genius bar question or not, since nothing is actually broken...anyhow, i'm wondering how long it will take to encode an SVCD (mpeg-2) from a DiVX avi file? I'm just finishing hour one. It was a 700mb avi and i am on a 400mhz G3 B&W.

Will i be here for a while?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    started encoding at 9:22pm, it is now 2:08am. that's what, 6 hours? i think it still has a while to go. fortunately it doesn't slow down surfing/email much
  • Reply 2 of 10
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    Why do want to re-encode a DivX file into anything? THAT is the real question. You'll lose a whole additional heap of quality. I'm thinking you couldn't burn the avi, right? Or watch it? Have you tried Firestarter? VLC? etc...
  • Reply 3 of 10
    ericgericg Posts: 135member
    Quote:

Originally posted by der Kopf

Why do want to re-encode a DivX file into anything? THAT is the real question. You'll lose a whole additional heap of quality. I'm thinking you couldn't burn the avi, right? Or watch it? Have you tried Firestarter? VLC? etc...

Maybe he wants to make a SVCD so he can view it on his stand alone DVD player
  • Reply 4 of 10
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ericg

Maybe he wants to make a SVCD so he can view it on his stand alone DVD player

You can make an SVCD with avi too, can you not? Of course, mac isn't really happy with avi (Toast won't burn 'em as (s)vcd, e.g.), but I'm sure there are plenty of solutions to turn an avi file into a svcd without having to reencode completely.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    I think that VcdtoolsX 1.1 (macupdate.com) can do this, not sure if it has to convert it though, I made images from .avi's I downloaded of finding nemo...(orig quality was poor but VCD wasn't noticably worse)
  • Reply 6 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

I think that VcdtoolsX 1.1 (macupdate.com) can do this, not sure if it has to convert it though, I made images from .avi's I downloaded of finding nemo...(orig quality was poor but VCD wasn't noticably worse)

I'll check out this tool. Toast wouldn't let me burn a VCD without an mpeg, so i figured it wasn't possible. I am in hour 14 of the encoding marathon I think it is about half done. NOW i want a dual G5!! I bet one of those could do this in an hour or two.

Oh, i'm burning the VCD so i can watch it on a standalone DVD player. It's actually an SVCD, the quality seems to be much better with SVCDs. I'm using a program called FFMpegX to encode it. Well, FFMpegX is actually a frontend to a suite of unix encoding programs that I don't understand

I am able to play the .avi fine on my computer, i downloaded the free codec from divx.com or divx.org or somewhere and they play in quicktime with no problems. look pretty damn good for a 700mb movie, too.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    All movies should be ripped in mpg 2...i guess mpg 4 now. But two 500MB halfs is very godo quality. I got Pirates of Silicon Valley to check something but didn't feel like renting it and I could watch double size...probably about 800xsomething and it looked perfectly fine. I don't recall movies being able to look that good at that size but for some reason I think this did...ahh I'm babbling.

Can somone confirm?
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Let me know how it works. I turned a 600MB avi to a VCD in at least an hour. Not sure how long it reallly was because I wasn't at my computer.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

Let me know how it works. I turned a 600MB avi to a VCD in at least an hour. Not sure how long it reallly was because I wasn't at my computer.

hmmm...vcdtoolsX won't touch anything but mpegs for me. it shows my .avi as an unopenable file. also, i have a couple mpegs i'd like to make vcds from, but neither vcdtoolsX or toast recognizes them as mpegs it can convert to VCDs. Any idea why this might be so? How can I fix the mpeg? Both programs recognize one or two of my other mpegs as legitimate sources for vcd authoring, but some of them it doesn't seem to understand
  • Reply 10 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by progmac

hmmm...vcdtoolsX won't touch anything but mpegs for me. it shows my .avi as an unopenable file. also, i have a couple mpegs i'd like to make vcds from, but neither vcdtoolsX or toast recognizes them as mpegs it can convert to VCDs. Any idea why this might be so? How can I fix the mpeg? Both programs recognize one or two of my other mpegs as legitimate sources for vcd authoring, but some of them it doesn't seem to understand

Hmm, there was a program AVI2MOV that turned AVI's to MPEG's in like 40 seconds. It's still out there but called somethign different now. Perhaps somone else could help you, I'll look around for you.