Almost got my brother to switch

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
After years of telling him that he should try a Mac, he's considering it.

His Pentium has given him nothing but problems. Seems the sound card or the driver no longer works and is causing havoc with many of his apps. Even his techie friends can't find the problem. Mind you he's still on Windows 98.

I told him if he wanted to switch, he could borrow my Mac for a few weeks and get familiar with it (not quite as generous as Pscates )

Told him to check out the Apple Switch site to debunk some of his pre-conceptions of Macs. He said he'll look but may try installing Windows XP first and see if that alleviates the problems.

Well I guess, he's not quite there yet...but two years ago, he'd never have even considered switching at all.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    Is he running a Pentium, as in first generation? Will XP even run on that? It's bad enough on a P3.

Anyways, good luck. What are the worries he has about the Mac?
  • Reply 2 of 7
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Quote:

Originally posted by CubeDude

Is he running a Pentium, as in first generation? Will XP even run on that? It's bad enough on a P3.

Anyways, good luck. What are the worries he has about the Mac?

I'm not sure what he has. I think it actually may be a P3. Hmm...more ammunition to sway him to Mac!

He wanted to make sure that most of his files (WordPerfect) could be read by whatever word processor program was available for Mac.

I assured him it could and that most of the larger apps on PC are now available on Mac. Plus I also mentioned VPC if he really needed to run a Windows app.

I think I should just bring my iMac over to his house one day without notice. That would force him to look at the Mac seriously. Only problem is I don't want his kids to get their grubby hands all over my LCD screen!
  • Reply 3 of 7
    LOL, let him install XP on a first gen Pentium. If that doesn't convince him, nothing will.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    MacLinkPlus will handle WordPerfect documents, no problem. But he should factor another $80 into the price.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Wow. Pentiums are SLOW! Running Win98 on one of those things is torture...I can't imagine how bad it would be with XP...that'd be like running OS X on a Performa...
  • Reply 6 of 7
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Hobbes

MacLinkPlus will handle WordPerfect documents, no problem. But he should factor another $80 into the price.

Doesn't the iBook come with AppleWorks, which(I think) includes MacLinkPlus. My Mac did. \

Quote:

Wow. Pentiums are SLOW! Running Win98 on one of those things is torture...I can't imagine how bad it would be with XP...that'd be like running OS X on a Perform

A friend of mine runs XP on a P3 laptop, and he only has 128 megs of RAM. Sadly its his fastest system.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by CubeDude

Doesn't the iBook come with AppleWorks, which(I think) includes MacLinkPlus. My Mac did. \

Not the full version. Here's the full list of file types that MacLinkPlus can open. DataViz's gotta sell something to put food on the table.

I believe AW has just basic Word and Excel compatibility built in. But hey, I haven't happened across a WordPerfect document in years, so who knows. Worth a try.