17" Powerbook blues

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Since I got this thing a few weeks ago, it has become a Very Useful Thing to have around. BUT now I have to send it back to where it came from to get it fixed!!! Damn!! It no longer recognizes the battery, the 'N' key keeps falling off, and now it won't allow me to drag anything. Weird. Anyone else having similar probs?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    Sorry to hear you're having problems! I got mine about 3 weeks after they started shipping (sometime in April) and I haven't had any (knock on wood ) hardware problems.

I have had it not wake from sleep a couple times, well, actually it seems that it is awake, but the screen won't come on. However, that seems to be related to messing with the connected USB devices when the thing is asleep. Moral: Don't plug in/unplug USB devices while your laptop is asleep, it doesn't seem to like that
  • Reply 2 of 13
    ...Sorry to hear that...
  • Reply 3 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by nint

Since I got this thing a few weeks ago, it has become a Very Useful Thing to have around. BUT now I have to send it back to where it came from to get it fixed!!! Damn!! It no longer recognizes the battery, the 'N' key keeps falling off, and now it won't allow me to drag anything. Weird. Anyone else having similar probs?

My left shift key broke off after about two weeks of use (and I normally use a USB Apple Pro keyboard with it...). However, Apple shipped a new keyboard to my local retailer, and I got it fixed there in about 20 minutes. That's the only problem I have had with it, however.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    nintnint Posts: 5member
    Got word back from the supplier that the hard drive is defective, and will be replaced under warranty! Bit of a surprise...They also couldn't find anything wrong with the battery, but they are going to replace the keyboard. Here's hoping...
  • Reply 5 of 13
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Sorry to heard that : no problems with my 17 inch powerbook : touch woods ...
  • Reply 6 of 13
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    I've had the problem of not being able to click-drag anything before. I have no idea what causes it but if I just restart the computer it's fixed.

BTW, my computer is an 800 MHz iBook, not a 17" PowerBook (oh, I wish!!!)
  • Reply 7 of 13
    I've had Lapzilla (my 17" PowerBook) since they first shipped. The first one they sent me had a row of pixels stuck (green). I sent it back to Apple's engineering department (first return of a 17" PowerBook I was told) and they sent me a new one.

It has run flawlessly until about a week ago when I noticed the right fan making a grinding noise. Sounds like a bearing has gone out. I haven't called Apple yet as things are hectic right now and it rarely uses the fans anyway.

The only other problem I'm having is everynow and then, the on screen cursor jumps to the edge of the screen. I'm using a Logitch mouse and I think it's the culprit. It keeps working, you just have to find the cursor when this happens.

Terry
  • Reply 8 of 13
    malokatamalokata Posts: 197member
    Quote:

Originally posted by TBoxman

The only other problem I'm having is everynow and then, the on screen cursor jumps to the edge of the screen. I'm using a Logitch mouse and I think it's the culprit. It keeps working, you just have to find the cursor when this happens.

Terry

This happens to me, too, and I'm using the touchpad. I called AppleCare about it today and he told me to clean off the pad. Sounds like it must be some other problem.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    longhornlonghorn Posts: 147member
    same problems even you restart it?
  • Reply 10 of 13
    malokatamalokata Posts: 197member
    No, it stops after a minute, in fact. But it happens every few days, and is very annoying, particularly when I'm in a hurry.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    nervnerv Posts: 26member
    Quote:

Originally posted by nint

I've had my 17" PowerBook since early April and I've had no problems so far. However, in all fairness, I use it almost exclusively as a desktop machine - I have it sitting on an iCurve and rarely use the built-in keyboard or trackpad. When I do take it out to meet with clients, I typically bring a USB keyoard and my TurboMouse Pro.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    pacepace Posts: 10member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Malokata

This happens to me, too, and I'm using the touchpad. I called AppleCare about it today and he told me to clean off the pad. Sounds like it must be some other problem.

My 17" PB just arrived, and I noticed it (touchpad) is doing this. About once every few minutes of constant use, usually when resizing or scrolling, the mouse pointer jumps to the corner of the screen.

Is this issue acknowledged by Apple? Is there a fix? I just converted from a wintel laptop, and I so want this to be a good experience.

-Pace
  • Reply 13 of 13
    thedustinthedustin Posts: 176member
    I have had my 1 Ghz 17" since Sept. '03 and have not had any problems. (insert cliche here)

_thedustin