Desktop Folder Permissions (& default file/folder creation permissions)

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Why do permissions on the Desktop folder always revert to drwxr-xr-x, even after I've changed them to, say, drwx------? Is there some logic behind this (i.e. is this a bug/oversight or a rather opaque 'feature')? Any way around it?

This seems to happen whether I change the permissions from the command line or through Get Info, and unfortunately I can't say with specificity when or under what condition they are changed back. This happens to me under 10.2.6 and previous versions of 10.2. As many users dump files to the desktop without giving it a second thought, I'd be quite disturbed to know that the OS leaves them world readable by default.

On a related note: Is there any way to set default file/folder creation permissions in the GUI (i.e. a GUI equivalent of umask in the shell)? I think if Apple is serious about OS X as a multi-user system (as they seem to want to be) they must include such control in the GUI. Any sign of this in Panther? Or better: is it here but I've missed it?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    My desktop folder is properly configured:

drwx------ 11 ######## staff 374 Aug 13 19:20 Desktop

I don't know why yours would be not that way.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    raimacraimac Posts: 68member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jginsbu

Why do permissions on the Desktop folder always revert to drwxr-xr-x, even after I've changed them to, say, drwx------? Is there some logic behind this (i.e. is this a bug/oversight or a rather opaque 'feature')? Any way around it?

This seems to happen whether I change the permissions from the command line or through Get Info, and unfortunately I can't say with specificity when or under what condition they are changed back. This happens to me under 10.2.6 and previous versions of 10.2. As many users dump files to the desktop without giving it a second thought, I'd be quite disturbed to know that the OS leaves them world readable by default.

On a related note: Is there any way to set default file/folder creation permissions in the GUI (i.e. a GUI equivalent of umask in the shell)? I think if Apple is serious about OS X as a multi-user system (as they seem to want to be) they must include such control in the GUI. Any sign of this in Panther? Or better: is it here but I've missed it?

Did you try SuperGetInfo?