Good news for Pismo users

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I just found out from Powerlogix (makers of the 900MHz G3 upgrade for the Pismo) that they plan to release new 1GHz (or faster) G3 upgrades for the Pismo later this year.

Powerlogix is still in the process of getting their hands on the chips they need, but if everything goes as planned, Pismos will be able to break the GHz barrier before the end of the year!

This is may not be as exciting as the new G5 PowerMacs and the next generation of Powerbooks, but for my fellow Pismo users, this is great news.

Now if someone could only find a way to upgrade the weak 8mb of video RAM.

A 1GHz G3 and Panther, it looks like I'll be keeping my Pismo for at least another year.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    That's good news indeed.

Unfortunately, the battery in my Pismo is toast, and I can't find another one to replace it. The screen has a couple of issues, and the latch is cracked. Still fucntions, but cracked.

This laptop has put up with so much abuse and she keeps going. Unfortunately, it may be time to put her out to pasture.

Now... Where are those PB upgrades that have been rumored for MONTHS???
  • Reply 2 of 5
    any idea on what this upgrade for the Pismo will cost?
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by PCoutsider

any idea on what this upgrade for the Pismo will cost?

That was something I couldn't get out of the guy who works for Powerlogix ... mainly because his superiors haven't told him yet. He did say that he suspects that the current Powerbook upgrades will likely drop to a lower price point (slightly) when the new 1GHz or more G3 chips arrive. So I'm guessing the new upgrade(s) will cost as much as (or just a little more than) the current 900MHz G3 Pismo upgrade from Powerlogix.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    How would they be able to introduce a 1GHz G3 upgrade before any Apple computer has a 1GHz G3? Wouldn't there be some issue there?
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by va1entino

How would they be able to introduce a 1GHz G3 upgrade before any Apple computer has a 1GHz G3? Wouldn't there be some issue there?

Powerlogix hasn't introduced it yet. Apple may release a 1GHz or faster G3 in the ibook before the end of the year ... then again, Apple may abandon the G3 and move completely to G4 and G5 computers.

Keep in mind that Apple does not make the G3 chips. The "G3" in both Apple computers and Powerlogix upgrades is actually the PowerPC 750FX ... made by IBM. Apple just calls it the G3 because it sounds better than PowerPC 750FX.

Powerlogix has just as much right to buy the PowerPC 750FX chips from IBM as Apple does. It's just that IBM doesn't release the PowerPC chips to anyone else before they offer them to Apple.

The real question we should be asking is, "Will Appple release a new ibook this year, or are they abandoning the PowerPC 750FX processor for the newer processors.