1.6 G5 or 15" Pbook? That is the question.

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Mobility would be nice, but if the power of the G5 is that much better, I could live with just a tower as being my first Mac. Any advice... please?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    Please list what you'll be using the computer for (Helps us to make a basis for advice)
  • Reply 2 of 12
    onitonit Posts: 44member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pc-to-mac

Mobility would be nice, but if the power of the G5 is that much better, I could live with just a tower as being my first Mac. Any advice... please?

1.6 G5 Pbook - that is the answer. Seriously, that's seemingly a way off though. Depends on your needs. If you just care that the system feels snappy a PB is fine (especially after 10.3 hits the shelves). Most massaging of images and text will be fine in their respective programs. It's only if you're in to heavy editing of very large video files that the PB won't meet your needs - I suspect if you are, though, you wouldn't even be posing the question.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    stevesteve Posts: 523member
    How often do you partake in the processor-intensive joys of Final Cut Pro, Photoshop, Maya, Logic, et al?
  • Reply 4 of 12
    I use photoshop quite a bit on my pc. I design various websites for clients, but that's my side thing. I'm a systems engineer, and would love to replace my dell laptop in the field with a Pbook. My first concerns would be ability for pbook to easily connect to the many many windows network that I run. Also running microsoft apps and doing things like citrix and remote desktop connections for remote admin. I know this software is out there so my major worries are over. Some other things I have are a netgear wireless lan card, ( I can get an airport card for that I believe), and a Sierra wireless 555 card running with Verizon's express network for wireless internet. THAT I cannot figure how I'm going to get working.

On the other hand, I got a new miniDV camcorder and would love to edit video and stuff on it. iMovie and the iApps look REALLY cool. Not big video, but something I could burn to DVD and look cool to give to the family. Oh... games... I'd like to play "some" games... sometimes. Not a big gamer, but I play CS and half-life and that kind of stuff ever so often. That's about all I can think of... for now.

ME
  • Reply 5 of 12
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    I think you'll see a 1.6 Ghz 7457 version first, then a 1.8Ghz version, then a 2Ghz G5 on 90nm feature size.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    the 1.6ghz G5 doesn't seem like a good value at all. i'd wait for the aluminum 15" powerbooks...should be around in a couple of months.

or, if you want a g5, wait for the next revision.

just my $0.02
  • Reply 7 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by progmac

the 1.6ghz G5 doesn't seem like a good value at all. i'd wait for the aluminum 15" powerbooks...should be around in a couple of months.

or, if you want a g5, wait for the next revision.

just my $0.02

I guess the G5's aren't that great a deal right now since they just came out, but won't that be true of the new Al pbooks when they come out? How long does it usually take Apple to do a revision? I've never owned a mac before... sorry for the amateur questions.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    Apple typically updates a product line every 6-9 months, sometimes it's longer (i.e. 15" Ti), sometimes it's shorter. The AlBook revision will likely be a decent value, but nothing to go crazy over. Personally, based on the uses you were describing, I'd say the Powerbook is a better fit.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    Quote:

Your post implies a preference for performance over mobilility. I'm thinking a basic 1.6 G5 will outperform the current 15" PB by a wide margin.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    Quote:

I guess the G5's aren't that great a deal right now since they just came out, but won't that be true of the new Al pbooks when they come out? How long does it usually take Apple to do a revision? I've never owned a mac before... sorry for the amateur questions.

well, i accept that a new model will cost quite a bit. i just meant that the value of the single 1.6ghz g5 seems considerably less than that of the higher-end models (for $1000 more, you get two dual 2ghz processors, twice the ram, twice the hard drive, better video etc.) The top end seems like an Okay value, where there low end just seems like slight price gauging
  • Reply 11 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by fantastic happy dinner man

I'm confused. Sounds like your preference is mobilility over performance, or is it performance over mobility?

• Reply 12 of 12
    Either would do fine. I would like a medium... good value/performance... which one is best at this point. I have a Dell laptop now that I use in my work with my clients, troubleshooting networks (mostly winblows), running virtual PC with linux and Windows 2003 server and stuff like that. So, if the new powerbook could take care of all of this stuff AND also allow me to edit my movies (simple home one's), burn CD's, wireless LAN, citrix, Terminal services, Photoshop, Office, Macromedia product stuff... that would be great! But it seems like the new G5's power might outway the new PBook if it's in the same price range.

ME