Safari and plug-ins

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014

I want to like this browser, I really do, it shows promise, it is fast, tabbed browsing etc.

but it crashes! it crashes whenever I try and use anything that requires a plug-in, it crashes whenever I try to manage my bookmarks, it crashes so much.

it runs smoothly and I am starting to get used to the UI, but what good is a browser that can't even view QT media on Apple's own webpage!!

anything java, crashes it, QT crashes it, what the hell.

I'm running an iMac DVSE 500 g3, OS X 10.2.4, is it the OS X version? I don't really want to update my OS right now but I guess that might be necessary

anyone else have so many crashing problems with safari?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    I gave up on it and now use Camino.

I used to get far too many "Cannot open this page" type of errors
  • Reply 2 of 5
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    Yeah, I loves me my camino, but get this...the latest nightly, I can't load camino anymore, maybe I just need to restart my comp or something, but it keeps unexpectedly crashing everytime I try and launch it.

damn, safari also crashes whenever I try and download anything(like safari toolkits that might help the problem

sorry mods, I guess this should be in genius bar, or Mac OS X, move if you agree.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    umm, if u mean the latest nightly build of camino, then there is a very good chance that youre going to have problems. Nightly builds are not inteded for widespread use by the public, it should have been made clear that they have no gurantees on it and that it may be very very buggy.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Safari works fine for me...pages load, media works, QT, JS, Real Media, the works.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by ThunderPoit

umm, if u mean the latest nightly build of camino, then there is a very good chance that youre going to have problems. Nightly builds are not inteded for widespread use by the public, it should have been made clear that they have no gurantees on it and that it may be very very buggy.

yeah, I know all this, it's just a pain in the arse when you get a lemon of a build. I reverted back to an older build and am back on camino now.

Asterix, what's the deal? do you have any ideas why mine doesn't work? could it be the 10.2.4?I looked at the release notes for 10.2.5 and 10.2.6 and they didn't mention anything about improved safari performance.