I have to buy a PC for one app.

tkntkn
Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I think Apple needs to start identifying more of the chokehold apps and either convincing the develepors to create Mac versions or competing against them.

Case-in-point: Almost every law student has to buy a Windows machine for one piece of software- Examsoft. I am going to have to buy a WIndows machine for this one piece of software. Guess what most of these people are going to use in the future?

There are plenty of other fields where one app is the chokehold. Many times it is in school... Apple needs to find these apps and work on them. Send over some mean little developers who won't take no and fix the situation themselves if need be.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    zoranszorans Posts: 187member
    Sorry if in my ignorance I am blundering in on this but I was curious...

Won't the MS emulator - Virtual ??? - be able to run this??

Just curious
  • Reply 2 of 6
    it won't run on virtual pc, or any other pc emulator?
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Here's the low down:

Examsoft :Here's where owning a mac at georgetown SUCKS. Examsoft, the proprietary exam administration software that you have to have installed on your computer to take exams on it, works only on Windows XP. Examsoft locks down your access to the local disk, the network, and programs. There is simply no alternative. You cannot run Examsoft on top of any of the XP emulators. This becomes a burden if, like most normal people, you have only one laptop. You end up having to find someone with a spare XP laptop to borrow. (I got around this, since like most geeks, I have multiple computers and I have both an XP box and a OS X box).
  • Reply 4 of 6
    zoranszorans Posts: 187member
    Ack!! That really does suck
  • Reply 5 of 6
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    No matter. A cheapo $300 PC is all it will take. Just because I have to take a test on it doesn't mean i'm going to be shackled with windows.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    You know, it seems I read somewhere about a year ago that apple has very good market share with lawyers. Something like 25% (or maybe more, but it seems it was at least that much).