Sign these petitions if you want GPS for the Mac.

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
This is an area where the Mac is currently in poor shape. We need to flex a little muscle and try to correct the problem.

Delorme Street Atlas Petition

GPS Petition

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    Is there any current Mac-equivelent or something else that does the same thing on the Mac?
  • Reply 2 of 9
    Yeah-

PB running VPC running M$ Streets and Trips and connected to a keyspan USB to Serial adapter which is connected to a Garmin handheld GPS receiver.

I'm looking into bluetooth GPS standalone receivers, but I'm taking my time. Look at the offerings at mobile planet if you're interested.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    murkmurk Posts: 935member

Route 66 seems to be unavailable for the U.S..
  • Reply 5 of 9
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    DeLorme StreetAtlas 6 has a pathetic interface, requiring you to click buttons to change the function of the cursor, whereas in Route 66 USA you can change it with Shift Option and Command. Best combo is to have it in Info so you can change it to the Hand, Zoom in, and Zoom out. It's also nice how Route has some of Canada. However DeLorme has vastly superior data, at least in rural regions. It shows my street, Route 66 doesn't. DeLorme also shows police and fire stations and that kind of thing at a local level in places like Maine, NH, VT, and RI. StreetAtlas has a few more levels of detail then Route 66 and so if Route doesn't improve its data there is room in the market for DeLorme still. I bet Apple has better marketshare in laptops than in desktops and that is where this market is. PowerBooks are the best laptop. Especially in conjunction with this! I emailed them, I hope they make a 12" version! http://compushell.com/

Route 66 USA 2004 is coming. The previous version has been discontinued. I have it. Come to the Jaguar's Roar on Carracho to pick up this abandonware or the Route 66 Europe version from a few years ago. Mods this is deadware AFAIK, and can't be obtained any more so I think this is reasonable to give away, kind of like Spin Doctor or Spectre.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,415member
    This is an area in which Mac users need to "squeak" to be heard. Or some programmer needs to put some elbow grease into it. The market is too vertical for Apple to get involved.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    murkmurk Posts: 935member
    With competition from Microsoft Streets and Trips on the PC and no competition on this side of the fence, you'd think Delorme would view the Mac as an opportunity.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Good point.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    norfanorfa Posts: 171member
    if you're looking for a simple program that allow you to read scanned maps and interface with your GPS try Gpsy. It doesn't do anything but show where you are on a map, but it's still cool.

http://www.gpsy.com/