Mini Heat Pumps

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I'm looking for little mini heat pumps to keep electronics cool. I know I've seen them at the Electronic Goldmine before but they aren't listed anymore. Does anyone know where I can get these? I want them for several things, but thought it would be very cool to make a platform for my powerbook when I get it. I'd rather use them then regular heat sinks.

Any help?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    whisperwhisper Posts: 735member
    I thought there was a reason those weren't in general use... What was it... Hmm, maybe I'm thinking of something else. What's a heat pump again?
  • Reply 2 of 8
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Whisper

I thought there was a reason those weren't in general use... What was it... Hmm, maybe I'm thinking of something else. What's a heat pump again?

Runs a fluid by a warm part and the fluid absorbs the heat and is taken to heat sinks where it is cooled down again. Hope I explained that well.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    How small are you looking for?
  • Reply 4 of 8
    xmogerxmoger Posts: 242member
    Google for "water cooling kit"
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by \\/\\/ickes

How small are you looking for?

Well I don't need anything SUPER small...I know I saw them in the size to put over electronic components to cool, but I figured I'd have to buy a few. Small enough to make a platform able to sit on my desk for my powerbook. I guess any size not too big will do.

The reason I called them mini heat pumps is so that people wouldn't think I'm talking about the kind outside your house haha.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    I guess I may have to try to make one to get the size I'm looking for, because I was looking for bigger then single processor.

If anyone is interested they are called Peltier Junctions and Thermoelectric Cooler I believe. Heh...guss I'll just have to try and build my own...\

Anyone know where I can get aluminum thicker then tin foild but still pretty pliable...almost heatsink material
  • Reply 7 of 8
    whisperwhisper Posts: 735member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

Anyone know where I can get aluminum thicker then tin foild but still pretty pliable...almost heatsink material

Old heat sinks?
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by Whisper

Old heat sinks?

Haha...no, those are (at least all the ones i've come across on old computers) solid molded things. I'd like that real flimsy kind that are in zigzag's. I mean if that is what they put on pentiums you know it has to cool pretty well