23" LCD's with Dead Pixels

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
How many here have a 23" LCD with Pixel problems? I'm getting worried I sold mine off to buy 2 new ones with my G5. I'm worried they will be all jacked up. Last one I owned had zero flaws.

What has been they case for others?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 37
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    Whats with the dead pixel stuff on the net in recent days?
  • Reply 2 of 37
    ryukyuryukyu Posts: 450member
    I was talking to the Apple guy at CompUSA last week about this.

He says that they see the fewest pixel problems on the 17" and 23" displays. Most of the complaints for dead/stuck pixels are with the 20".

Which makes me worry, because I have one on order!!
  • Reply 3 of 37
    With CRT's on the way out I'm sure we will start seeing fewer dead pixels out of the box. I hope the two 23" LCDs I get are not jacked up...
  • Reply 4 of 37
    tidristidris Posts: 214member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Elderloc

With CRT's on the way out I'm sure we will start seeing fewer dead pixels out of the box. I hope the two 23" LCDs I get are not jacked up...

Maybe these displays should be offered in two versions: one at a premium price with guaranteed zero dead pixels, one at a regular price with the ussual number of dead pixels. Would you pay extra for guaranteed zero dead pixels?
  • Reply 5 of 37
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    I hope when my powerbook gets delivered the post man didn't kick it a few times before setting it at my door.
  • Reply 6 of 37
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    I was worried about dead pixels when I bought my 23", but to be honest now that it's on my desk I'm not sure if it has any or not!

The pixel density is so high on the 23", that I don't think a dead/stuck pixel would stand out that much. I think you'd really have to look for them!

The screen gets covered in specks/dust within a couple of days anyway, and they all end up looking like dead pixels anyway...
  • Reply 7 of 37
    I bought a 23" refurb and it had no dead pixels.
  • Reply 8 of 37
    Quote:

Originally posted by Tidris

Maybe these displays should be offered in two versions: one at a premium price with guaranteed zero dead pixels, one at a regular price with the ussual number of dead pixels. Would you pay extra for guaranteed zero dead pixels?

Or how about, for a company such as Apple, that charges 1.5x the price for the same LCDs, NO DEAD PIXELS on any!!!
  • Reply 9 of 37
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jukebox Hero

Or how about, for a company such as Apple, that charges 1.5x the price for the same LCDs, NO DEAD PIXELS on any!!!

I challenge you to find a 23" 1920x1200 LCD from another manufacturer that is less expensive than Apple's.
  • Reply 10 of 37
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    Quote:

Originally posted by flyhigher

I challenge you to find a 23" 1920x1200 LCD from another manufacturer that is less expensive than Apple's.

The other one is from SONY. It's sold for 2600 US but it has dual input support.....while the Apple doesn't
  • Reply 11 of 37
    Quote:

Originally posted by flyhigher

I was referring to the 17" model... You're absolutely right about the 23".

Our moderators think that I deserve to be called a troll because I forgot to specify the 17" monitor when I said that Apples monitors are 1.5 times the price of the competetive monitors.
  • Reply 12 of 37
    Quote:

I was referring to the 17" model... But lets see.... First place I look is:

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/p...tegory_id=5792

Planar 23" $1899 (1600x1200)

SCEPTRE 23" $1999 (1600x1200)

Sony 23" $2419

Apple 23" $1999

So you're absolutely right. I assumed the scaled approximately linearly with size. I'm not in the market for a monitor that costs twice the price of a decent complete system.

Well stop trolling threads that have '23" LCD' in the header!
  • Reply 13 of 37
    Our moderators think that I deserve to be called a troll because I forgot to specify the 17" monitor when I said that Apples monitors are 1.5 times the price of the competetive monitors.
  • Reply 14 of 37
    Quote:

BTW I find your screen name highly offensive.

haha...I bet he is equally offended by your name
  • Reply 15 of 37
    yevgenyyevgeny Posts: 1,148member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

haha...I bet he is equally offended by your name

I secretly think that you are all offensive.
  • Reply 16 of 37
    Quote:

Stating an opinion when asked is hardly a troll. Plus, I agreed with him, so you obviously don't know what a troll is. I would guess you're the troll.

BTW I find your screen name highly offensive.

Were you asked to state your opinion as to wether you thought my screen name was offensive? Or are you trolling now?

I'm sorry you find my screen name offensive. Perhaps you should refer this matter to a Mod or Admin - if they ask me to change my screen name then I'll happily do so.
  • Reply 17 of 37
    Quote:

Originally posted by Yevgeny

I secretly think that you are all offensive.

You can take a shower, pretty yourself up, put on cologne but you I guess you just can't hide a stinky personality
  • Reply 18 of 37
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Tidris

The thing is that the non-premium would be guaranteed some dead pixels, because all the good, no-dead pixel displays would be gone.
  • Reply 19 of 37
    halsehalse Posts: 53member
    I have a 23" (ordered an hour after the price drop) and it has zero dead pixels
  • Reply 20 of 37