is buy.com for real?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I went to buy.com to check the price of the Linksys WPS11 wireless print server.

It says $118.98 with free shipping which is a pretty good price.

Since I've bought things from buy.com in the past with no problems I clicked checkout and it went into my cart with a total price of $118.98.

I click process order and turn around for a couple of seconds to answer someones question, when I look back I see that the charge is now $129 and it says buy.com handling fee of $12!

Luckily I was able to back out of the process before it actually went through, or so I hope.

This is the hight of deception, when I went to call customer service there is a recording that says there is a $9.95 charge for telephone customer service!

Needless to say I will not be making any more purchases from buy.com

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    They're for real, but they suck. Their tactics make Amazon.com's little data mining tricks look honest.

These are the same losers who launched BuyMusic.com, if that's any indication.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    xmogerxmoger Posts: 242member
    Back around when they first setup shop and had good prices, several dozen people got burned on a monitor deal. Getting it resolved was a long process that eventually came to a class action suit. Throughout the ordeal the CSRs told bald-faced lies and deleted records from their sales database to get out of refunds.

Use with caution.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    markivmarkiv Posts: 180member
    I have bought a few things from Buy.com myself. ABout a year I bought myself a Lacie CD burner (40X) for 160 dollars and thatwas a good price. I have now placed an order for 224 cd wallet to manage my cd, but if you are buying a wireless router make sure that it is compatible with your Mac. You could always buy the new Airport from SmallDog or macmall and could get some deals there.