When will imac be updated?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I need to add another computer at home. We currently have a 15" 700 imac which we plan on giving to our kids for school work etc. I can't say I really need a G5 . . . nor can I afford one Any thoughts when the imac will be upgraded. I know its due but any ideas on what timeline???

Thanks for your thoughts. (I made a similar post under general discussion, but didn't get a lot of response.)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Double threads for more exposure isn't really the recommended thing to do. I think most people are more interested in powerbooks right now...iBooks or iMacs will be next after PBook histeria has died down.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Since I'm not much interested in a PB, the amount of discussion really doesn't help me much.

I seldom read general discussion . . . but thought I'd give it a try . . . I didn't think it would be a big deal to post here also since new updated imacs would be considered future hardware
  • Reply 3 of 7
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    This is the more appropriate forum in which to post this discussion. Second time's the charm.

The LCD iMac has had a depressingly sluggish update schedule, but you can generally bank on the fact that where the PowerBook goes, the iMac follows.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    Helpful Hint #1: If there isn't a thread on the first page of Future Hardware with either gratuitous use of caps or exclamation points (ie: *CONFIRMED!!!!*) pertaining to the product you're curious about...there's probably not any new info you'll get from posting *another* "When?" thread.

Helpful Hint #2: As far as product cycles and times between updates go, MacRumors has a handy little Buyer's Guide that's very helpful.

Helpful Hint #3: edit: (Listen to Amorph and not me... )
  • Reply 5 of 7
    thttht Posts: 5,450member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Amorph

The LCD iMac has had a depressingly sluggish update schedule, but you can generally bank on the fact that where the PowerBook goes, the iMac follows.

They are basically the same product. Which if you think about it, HOLY FAT COW! Apple is making some huge margins on the 17" Powerbook G4. Anyways, yes, it'll probably be updated a month or so after the Powerbooks. If Apple is waiting on the 7457, that means Q4 03 for all products waiting on it including Powerbooks, iMacs and eMacs. That's if Motorola executes the 7457 rampup according to their most recent schedule. It hasn't changed since Q4 02, so it looks like they will.

The iMac is sort of a bastard stepchild of a product now that Apple is selling a faster 1.25 GHz Power Mac G4 for $1299. Buying that plus a 17" LCD for $500, or Apple's 17" for $700, and you'll get a better performer than the current iMac or perhaps even better than the upgraded iMac for about the same price. The only thing lost is the form factor, a trade off many people would take I think.

What I'd like to see is Apple doing something unique with the product, in features, so as to make it stand apart if Apple continues to sell the Power Mac G4. Like, making it a dual processor machine. A dual 1 GHz 7457 iMac for $1800 would be an excellent value proposition compared to shipping a 1.25+ GHz iMac.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    hopefully soon. i heard september.. can anyone verify this? my wife wants to buy one, finally goodbye PC!
  • Reply 7 of 7
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Have you seriously considered a PowerMac G4? MUch lower price than the G5 and would be a handsome up grade over a 700 MHz imac. That is one thought, atleast from the desktop perspective.

The other thought is to go iBook.

As far as a timeline goes, frankly no one here knows a thing! While many think that the PowerBooks are the next to be rev'ed, they could also be waiting for new technology.

I would not go out an buy the current iMac at list price by any means. Either find a heavily discounted unit or wait for a significant upgrade. If the iMac upgrade is not significant then go the G4 PowerMac route. While it is somewhat dependant on your usage, I can see the current iMac hardware becoming obsolete very quickly with the G4 PowerMac right behind. That is something to think about.

Dave

Quote:

Originally posted by jarvis8484

I need to add another computer at home. We currently have a 15" 700 imac which we plan on giving to our kids for school work etc. I can't say I really need a G5 . . . nor can I afford one Any thoughts when the imac will be upgraded. I know its due but any ideas on what timeline???

Thanks for your thoughts. (I made a similar post under general discussion, but didn't get a lot of response.)