Linksys print server stopped printing in OS X

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
have been using the Linksys WPS11 wireless print server with a HP Laserjet 4500 on my Mac with no problems.

I downloaded Gimp print because I needed drivers for a Canon i950, which is not listed in OS X's printer list for my usb print server.

The closest drivers to the Canon i950 is for the Canon S800, which now does let the i950 print wirelessly but poorly.

The problem now is I can't print wirelessly from the Mac with the HP Laserjet anymore.

It goes through the process and the printer turns on and warms up but instead of printing I get a "data ready" signal but nothing actually prints.

I deleated Gimp by dragging the folder to the trash but the HP Laserjet still doesn't print.

Anyone know what has gone wrong? Seems strange since the print server is definitely seeing the Mac as the printer starts up.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    dage007dage007 Posts: 320member
    Quote:

Originally posted by coolmac

have been using the Linksys WPS11 wireless print server with a HP Laserjet 4500 on my Mac with no problems.

I downloaded Gimp print because I needed drivers for a Canon i950, which is not listed in OS X's printer list for my usb print server.

The closest drivers to the Canon i950 is for the Canon S800, which now does let the i950 print wirelessly but poorly.

The problem now is I can't print wirelessly from the Mac with the HP Laserjet anymore.

It goes through the process and the printer turns on and warms up but instead of printing I get a "data ready" signal but nothing actually prints.

I deleated Gimp by dragging the folder to the trash but the HP Laserjet still doesn't print.

Anyone know what has gone wrong? Seems strange since the print server is definitely seeing the Mac as the printer starts up.

Could you let me know if you actually got your i950 to work? I ran into the same problem here and I also have an HP. The HP works great but I cant even get the i950 to print. I cant seem to find a driver for it under 10.3.2

Let me know if you have any suggestions.

Dave
  • Reply 2 of 7
    igmanigman Posts: 9member
    Can you guys let me know how you configured it initially. I have a Linksys Printer Server WPS54GU2 and am having problems. The printer is an Epson C84. It appears to make some communication using appletalk, but the printer just spits out sheets of paper with one garbled line at the top. Also, I have the print driver installed, but cannot find it resident in OSX or via CD when selecting "other" printer. The Epson model is not found, just C82 with Gimp print, etc. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I growing increasingly frustrated. Thanks!
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by igman

Can you guys let me know how you configured it initially. I have a Linksys Printer Server WPS54GU2 and am having problems. The printer is an Epson C84. It appears to make some communication using appletalk, but the printer just spits out sheets of paper with one garbled line at the top. Also, I have the print driver installed, but cannot find it resident in OSX or via CD when selecting "other" printer. The Epson model is not found, just C82 with Gimp print, etc. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I growing increasingly frustrated. Thanks!

Well first off I can tell you it was very confusing for me and frustrating. So much that I ended selling the wireless linksys router on Ebay and going for an Airport extreme with the usb on it. After that I still could not see my canon i950 but when I pluged the printer into the usb port of the airport there it was. I called canon and tried to see where the drivers were for panther and they had no idea what i was talking about. I said I wanted to select the printer in otehr but I could not find the driver. THey were of no help at all. Needless to say, this is a big prob if you ask me. I tried the gimp thing and it messed up some settings, till I did an update and things went back to normal.

My suggestion is to either call apple and see if they can help or linksys but i got the "we cant help you there from linksys" and apple has a site that shows what printers they support for wireless anyways.

But anyways maybe get an airport thats the easy solution if you ask me.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Do you think a windows laptop can be hooked up okayto the airport? It works nicely with the linksys, but I am more interested in remote printing for an iBook and soon to be bought PB15. Thanks!
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Quote:

Do you think a windows laptop can be hooked up okayto the airport? It works nicely with the linksys, but I am more interested in remote printing for an iBook and soon to be bought PB15. Thanks!

works flawlessly

I have a dual G4 a dual G5 a dual athlon, single P4 and an IBM thinkpad.

Not one of them have any issues and the network runs very nice. Also aple has a program for the pc that works nicely with the airport. Its the same as what is in os x
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Thanks. Do you have more than one hard-wired? If so, what hub are using and did that work effectively? Thanks again! I may be heading out to the store tonight...
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Quote:

Thanks. Do you have more than one hard-wired? If so, what hub are using and did that work effectively? Thanks again! I may be heading out to the store tonight...

For now everything is wireless, but I did have a linksys 4 port 10/100 router that i conected to it to test it out and it worked fine