Apple Innovations

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
What are some of the things that Apple came up with first.

You know that Apple pioneered, lets make a list everybody feel free to add stuff as far back as you can remember.

Example

1. First to have 17' notebook

2. First 64 bit Desktop

3. Pionnered DVD burning

4. First to carry USB

5. Invented Firewire

And so on !!!!!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    first Video (playback and/or authoring): QuickTime

first built-in Ethernet/networking/Appletalk

first colour monitor (thanks, Woz!)

first built-in CD-ROM, CD-RW, Combo, Superdrive

there are some old threads about this, and plenty of info at apple-history.com, etc
  • Reply 2 of 27
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    Although not technically the first, they did make the graphical user interface actually usable, and they made the mouse practical. (both these items were developed by parc research/xerox)
  • Reply 3 of 27
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

Originally posted by krisneph

What are some of the things that Apple came up with first.

You know that Apple pioneered, lets make a list everybody feel free to add stuff as far back as you can remember.

Example

1. First to have 17' notebook

2. First 64 bit Desktop

3. Pionnered DVD burning

4. First to carry USB

5. Invented Firewire

And so on !!!!!

2. no

3. came earlier (first to make it really user friendly tho)

4. no

5. yes but they took too long to take advantage of it
  • Reply 4 of 27
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    First to introduce the mini floppy.

First to abandon the mini floppy.

First to introduce a PDA.

First to abandon a PDA.

ummmmm, anything else?
  • Reply 5 of 27
    Usually these 'firsts' are actually 'popularising' or 'pioneering' because some tiny amount of bleeding edge PC builders may get there first, however...

I've seen some discussion about the 64-bit desktop and people seem to be counting workstations. I'd say that, taking into account standard marketroid-speak bluster, they can have that one without too much trouble from me.
  • Reply 6 of 27
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    I guess not first, but I thought apple had something to do with laser printers and digital cameras
  • Reply 7 of 27
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    Wasn't Airport one of the first 802.11 base stations?
  • Reply 8 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by CubeDude

Wasn't Airport one of the first 802.11 base stations?

i believe linksys & netgear were already there
  • Reply 9 of 27
    ?Popularized the mouse (did not invent it! That credit belongs to Douglas Engelbart), the GUI, wireless networking, USB, portable music players.

?Crammed all that computing POWER into the Cube, the new iMac and everything they make.

?Notebook computers just an inch thick?_with magnets to close!

?Quartz Extreme

?Exposé
  • Reply 10 of 27
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    Do you mean that magnets close the current PowerBooks? (It's actually a rather well dseigned catch).
  • Reply 11 of 27
    russsrusss Posts: 115member
    Quote:

Originally posted by madmax559

i believe linksys & netgear were already there

Uh, no.

From The Screensavers website:

7/16/03

Doug Karl is the founder and president of wireless-systems provider KarlNet, but Mac users may know his name from a slightly different context. You see, Karl also invented Apple's AirPort technology for wireless networking.

I was watching the show that night and Karl said something like "Apple was first with wireless for the consumer." I don't remember the exact statement but that was the gist of it.

Again from The Screensavers website:

1/31/00

Apple's Airport is the first 802.11b product on the market. (Don't be confused by the original low speed implementation of 802.11-- it topped out at 2 Mbps.)
  • Reply 12 of 27
    xmogerxmoger Posts: 242member
    802.11 Didn't top out at 2Mbps. There were several devices that ran up to 11Mbps as early as the beginning of 1999(802.11b was approved by IEEE in sept. 99). According to Apple, Airport was introduced with 802.11 support. I don't know which company got their 802.11b firmware patches out first though.
  • Reply 13 of 27
    gsxrboygsxrboy Posts: 565member
    Try here for some

http://www.mackido.com/Innovation/

http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Macintosh

http://wi-fiplanet.webopedia.com/TER..._Computer.html

and many more

other stuff like true type fonts licensed to M$ from memory?
  • Reply 14 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by Stoo

Do you mean that magnets close the current PowerBooks? (It's actually a rather well dseigned catch).

In a way, yeah.

As you close the PowerBook or iBook, there is a magnet in the keyboard-half of the computer that draws a hook out of the monitor-half as it closes more and more. Then it clicks and locks, and when you open it again, the hook folds back away, out of the way. It is quite neat.

Ooh, and they made a mouse shaped like a sperm ? that's an innovation, somehow.
  • Reply 15 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by RussS

I was watching the show that night?

Ooh! Show! I saw Dotto's Data Cafe and he was talking about AppleTalk. Is that an innovation?
  • Reply 16 of 27
    Laptop trackpad, I believe. And I thought I'd heard that Apple's was the first consumer digital camera. Also a lot of the ubiquitous features in both (Windows and Mac) operating systems - see that triangle in the bottom right corner of your windows? Too many more to categorically list.
  • Reply 17 of 27
    krisnephkrisneph Posts: 143member
    So Apple was the first to have USB.

It say's so here

http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Macintosh

gsxrboy pointed out that site.
  • Reply 18 of 27
    Well, that site is wrong because Apple neither invented or was the first computer maker to provide USB. Apple was the first to provide USB as the main connector, thus kicking off the USB market, however.
  • Reply 19 of 27
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    They pioneered the wildly anticipated, tech-oriented keynote presentation.

Does anyone TRULY believe people get this wound up over anything Bill Gates or Microsoft has to say on stage (Ballmer notwithstanding).

Is anyone lining up outside a downtown convention center at 2am to hear that idiot from Dell give a presentation and unveil their latest bullcrap?

I seriously, seriously doubt it.
  • Reply 20 of 27
    Apple isn't the greatest at inventing new devices or peripherals. I don't think the company has the bugdet to make new gadgets. What they do have an amazing knack to do is to grab seemingly random standards and technology and put them together into some cohesive way that is very useful to the user.

So, how many of you who have them actually use your floppys anymore?