Quick iPod question!!!

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
For those of you with newer iPods (with the four buttons), is there a space around your display that is "dead". When viewing the display without the backlighting on, is there about a 1/8" or so border around the display area that is a different color (kinda green) than the gray background of the live area where the menus reside?

Thanks.

I was just looking at my friend's iPod and noticed that. I haven't seen/used enough iPods to know...is it supposed to show gray all the way to the edge of the display?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Okay, 11 people can look at the thread, but nobody can answer? Any iPod owners? She's thinking it might be defect or offset. The pics at Apple show the "live area" going all the way to the edge of the display area.

But that's easily "faked" or doctored. Are iPods supposed to have such a noticeable gap of dead space?
  • Reply 2 of 16
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Mine definitely has a light-gray-greenish border of dead space.
  • Reply 3 of 16
    Oh really? Thanks, BRussell. It just kinda stuck out to both of us as "not looking quite right" (but we're both iPod newbies).

I'll see what some others say. Probably nothing to worry about then.

Thanks again!
  • Reply 4 of 16
    jobjob Posts: 420member
    Yep. Same story here (15GB version.)

I don't notice it much though since I got a few nasty scratches on the LCD and as a result I never take it out of the case anymore. I love the remote.
  • Reply 5 of 16
    So it seems Apple (as they do on other products, along with other companies) doctors the photos a bit to make it look larger.
  • Reply 6 of 16
    jobjob Posts: 420member
    Pretty much. Remember how they also showed the iPods with a blue backlight? I have yet to see one. Mine looks really, really white in any lighting conditions.

But again, it doesn't bother me as it still serves its function (quite well I might add.)
  • Reply 7 of 16
    Which picture are you looking at? Every one I've seen shows the border.

Here's Apple's iPod picture from the main iPod page. The border around the LCD is very clear in this and the other pictures I see on the iPod web site.

• Reply 8 of 16
    It was probably just a slip up, but I'm sure such a longtime member as Mr. Scates knows that the iPod is a member of the Digital Hub, and we just so happen to have a forum for that
  • Reply 9 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

Here's Apple's iPod picture from the main iPod page. The border around the LCD is very clear in this picture.

That's almost not fair, because they photoshop the screen images onto those shots...
  • Reply 10 of 16
    Yeah, that was I was referring to earlier. Most of those "beauty shots" from Apple are pretty extensively retouched and the screens are fake (download one of the high-res PR shots and check out the various paths and so forth).

That's why I wasn't too keen on going by any pics on Apple's site. But I've got two people here saying "yes, there is a slight green border around the edge...".

So that's comforting.

But I curious to hear from more because it sure does look like a glaring, wasted space. It's REALLY obvious when the backlighting is activated.

Any other iPodders have input?
  • Reply 11 of 16
    willoughbywilloughby Posts: 1,457member
    Same here with a 15 gig.

You'd think after 4000+ posts you'd know the proper place to put a thread
  • Reply 12 of 16
    Ditto 15 GB. Think you can assume it's normal. If it looks like a duck and it sounds like a duck etc.
  • Reply 13 of 16
    same on my new 15 gig. I was also shocked with the white backlight. Today however, when i was looking at it at work, under heavy neon lighting, it did in fact have a faint blue hue to it thats the closest i've seen to the "indiglo" blue that they have in print ads.
  • Reply 14 of 16
    Okay then.

As for "posting in the wrong forum", sue me.

IN my 4000 posts, this is probably a first...so look at it THAT way.

• Reply 15 of 16
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Or we could look at it like you should know better for chrissakes!!

Of course, I'd never say that, buddy.

(in honor of your 4000th post, I'll let her live)

heh
  • Reply 16 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by LoCash

That's almost not fair, because they photoshop the screen images onto those shots...

Right but I thought pscates' point was that Apple's iPod images are misleading because they don't show that border. The ones I saw do show the border.