My despise for kingdoms is near unspeakable.

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Not that unspeakable that I couldn't put it before you, though. This morning, I wake up to the headline that a new prince is born in my sweet kingdom. And after that, secondary stories are touched upon briefly. Oh, say, the destruction of the UN headquarters in Baghdad. The bomb-killing of about 20 in Israel, the bomb-maiming of many more. Countless other things, probably, were left unsaid, because one little person, wrapped in blood and chunky womb juice, arrived on this world. Not that that isn't a joyous occasion in itself. Every birth is perfectly momentous (although you may come up with exceptions), but whining about a king or prince? And this is hardly the full extent of what's ticking me off. The mere concept of kingdom fills my stomach with hot acid. The fact that one is better than someone else, AT BIRTH, as laid down in A CONSTITUTION. The fact that many of these countries which we name western-European, which we name FREE moreover, would indulge in this medieval practice, this prehistoric practice. How free is this country? I am not born free at all, since there is one big function that I'll never perform. And you may say that a black lesbian is just as likely to become president of the US, but at least there's nothing in the constitution barring her from trying. Yet, it's a stupid theatre. When our previous king didn't want to comply with the will of the people concerning abortion, and refused to sign that particular law, he was effectively dethroned for a day.

Do we not have enough famous people in showbizz for the little people to be amused on a daily basis? What's this preoccupation with kings and their entourage? Can someone enlighten me? What are your thoughts? My desire for the Belgian institution of kingdom to be abolished and the king and all his to be normal, unprivileged citizens like the rest of the Belgian populace is almost palpable. One can only wish.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    Announce you want to run for Prince. See what they think.
  • Reply 2 of 15
    chinneychinney Posts: 1,019member
    On the contrary, constitutional monarchies have a remarkable ability to safeguard democracy. The republican form of government is more open to abuse and, sometimes, dictatorship. I have no deep, abiding personal love for any one monarch (although I have always thought that our current Queen is pretty much OK), but the form of government is one that, I think, should endure.
  • Reply 3 of 15
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chinney

On the contrary, constitutional monarchies have a remarkable ability to safeguard democracy.

Much like the Italian monarchy in Mussolini's days? Or more like the Spanish monarchy in times of Civil War and Franco, I mean generalissimo Franco?
  • Reply 4 of 15
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    I think what he meant to say was: "America sucks."
  • Reply 5 of 15
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,015member
    Quote:

...The republican form of government is more open to abuse and, sometimes, dictatorship.

Nice play on words there. How is it that a Democratic Republic is more prone to dictatorship? It makes no sense.
  • Reply 6 of 15
    haraldharald Posts: 2,152member
    Quote:

Originally posted by groverat

Hey folks!

This is the guy that accuses people of obsession!
  • Reply 7 of 15
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    Quote:

Originally posted by der Kopf

Much like the Italian monarchy in Mussolini's days? Or more like the Spanish monarchy in times of Civil War and Franco, I mean generalissimo Franco?

And the brave Danish Monarchy standing against the nazis, the English monarchy sans the same...as well as the Dutch monarchy..

But I am digressing..

Der Kopf..I have no idea when you were born, no idea of the day or the month or the year..

But I can be sure of two things.

Since you were born in the 20th century as we all are ( unless like Placebo we are 3 years old ), then the chances are, on the day you were born, somewhere across the worlld, people were at war, or being murdered or blown up, pushed out of their homes or threatened in some way...

Are you with me so far..Der Kopf..

Well that being said...then on the day you were born, there were at least two happy and estatic young parents seeing their new born baby son open his eyes for the first time..and holler his lungs out...

And yes foor that little kingdom of two..YOU were it's "little prince "

So Der Kopf...rejoice in what innocence is still abroad my friend...for in the eyes of many in your close little circle..yours is still a relatively happy, prosperous & safe little kingdom.

Count your blessings...
  • Reply 8 of 15
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    Quote:

"America sucks."

You do know that the USA is not the only republic on earth?
  • Reply 9 of 15
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

You do know that the USA is not the only republic on earth?

Unfortunately not.
  • Reply 10 of 15
    haraldharald Posts: 2,152member
    Quote:

On the contrary, constitutional monarchies have a remarkable ability to safeguard democracy. The republican form of government is more open to abuse and, sometimes, dictatorship. I have no deep, abiding personal love for any one monarch (although I have always thought that our current Queen is pretty much OK), but the form of government is one that, I think, should endure.

Naaaa. All societies are prone to having their constitutions warped and reinterpreted, hijacked by special interests to the loss of the masses.

Look at Rome, China, the US, Spain, uh ... anywhere basically. A democratic monarchy is a contradiction in terms; give me a republic any day of the week.

(funny that by saying i prefer republics i'm not saying 'america rocks' ... notice that little point?)
  • Reply 11 of 15
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Harald

Naaaa. All societies are prone to having their constitutions warped and reinterpreted, hijacked by special interests to the loss of the masses.

Look at Rome, China, the US, Spain, uh ... anywhere basically. A democratic monarchy is a contradiction in terms; give me a republic any day of the week.

(funny that by saying i prefer republics i'm not saying 'america rocks' ... notice that little point?)

And to think that " Starwars ' is the story of a boy, his bad dad & the restoration of the Imperial empire..complete with princess Leah and the wookies...
  • Reply 12 of 15
    Quote:

one little person, wrapped in blood and chunky womb juice

• Reply 13 of 15
    Quote:

Er, no. I was not thinking of the United States at all. (Sorry for not thinking of you all of the time.)

Actually, I would put the U.S. in the category of a very successful example of republican democracy. I think that the U.S. model, though, is difficult to implement in other countries that are trying to establish democracies for the first time and that Parliamentary democracy without a President, perhaps ideally with a powerless figurehead monarch, is more apt to be successful.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    The man has a point. The whole "kingdom thing"is pretty much a medieval phenomenon that for some reason persists in otherwise modernized countries across the European continent.

(I've always wanted to say that... you know with the stodgy British accent you hear on cable documentaries?... "Across the European Continent"... sounds so official and edu-ma-cated!)

Seriously, it is pretty frickin ridiculous to bar a nation from trying to attain the highest post in the land, because that post belongs to someone else by birthright. Even if that person turns out to have the IQ of a guppy. Damn Kingdoms!
  • Reply 15 of 15
    Quote:

Well I agree that Victor Emmanual blew it in Italy. His actions (or lack of action at important points) does raise some interesting questions, however, about the role of a constitutional monarch in a democracy when the population votes in favour of facism or some other fundamentally undemocratic government. I would argue that the monarch in this case should dismiss the government on the ground that preserving fundamental democratic institutions is more important than upholding the results of a single election. If the government that would undermine democracy is returned, then the monarch should probably abdicate. Victor Emmanual, of course, did none of this and was probably a facist sympathizer at some levels. He deserved his fate.

Your example of Spain, however, was not such a good one to support your argument. The previous monarch of Spain abdicated when the Republic was proclaimed in the early 30s. It was not a question of defending or not defending democracy, as Spain had really not evolved toward a democratic constitutional monarchy by that point. Afterwards in the 30s, the struggle was between the Republicans and the Facists; there was no monarch during the Civil War. However, after the monarchy was reestablished by Franco in the 70s, something interesting happened. After Franco died, King Juan Carlos was instrumental in establishing real and lasting democracy in Spain and in defending the new democracy against several right-wing plots. My good friend who is a Professor of Spanish History and an absolute anti-monarchist Spanish Republican admits (much to his displeasure) this point about Juan Carlos' very positive role. I am suprised, for these reasons, that you would use Spain as an example.