Weird in 10.2.6

pbpb
Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I don't know if this has been already discussed or if it is an earlier problem, but I have seen it under 10.2.6. What happens: in machines that run for long time without reboot, the Finder may refuse leave the user to move items (documents or folders) on the desktop. This behaviour is accompanied by inability to keep recent items (applications and documents). I don't know if this is a side effect or the real cause. Furthermore, in "System Preferences -> General", the system sets to zero the number of recent items, and, even if it leaves you to change that, it does not retain the changes and forgets completely the recent items. Finally, launch times for applications are x3 or x4 than normal. A reboot cleans of course things up. I would like however to learn what causes these problems and if there is some way to revert the system to its normal state without rebooting.

Thanks,

PB

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    did you try repairing permissions in disk utility?
  • Reply 2 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

I don't know if this has been already discussed or if it is an earlier problem, but I have seen it under 10.2.6. What happens: in machines that run for long time without reboot, the Finder may refuse leave the user to move items (documents or folders) on the desktop. This behaviour is accompanied by inability to keep recent items (applications and documents). I don't know if this is a side effect or the real cause. Furthermore, in "System Preferences -> General", the system sets to zero the number of recent items, and, even if it leaves you to change that, it does not retain the changes and forgets completely the recent items. Finally, launch times for applications are x3 or x4 than normal. A reboot cleans of course things up. I would like however to learn what causes these problems and if there is some way to revert the system to its normal state without rebooting.

Thanks,

PB

Al least the Finder move/copy issue is real!
  • Reply 3 of 8
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by giant

did you try repairing permissions in disk utility?

Yes, nothing changed after that though.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Do you have panther installed on another drive? I had the problem once after unmounting my panther partition to keep it from launching apps from there.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by torifile

Do you have panther installed on another drive?

No, I am talking about proper and clean Jaguar installations, without any system hacks or other operating systems on partitions or separate drives.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    How much free space do you have on your drive?

Do you notice that you have more after a reboot?

Sounds like a memory leak to me.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

How much free space do you have on your drive?

More than 15 GB.

Quote:

Do you notice that you have more after a reboot?

Sometimes, but this is expected as erasing of the swapfiles occurs after a reboot.

Quote:

Sounds like a memory leak to me.

Perhaps, but where? Finder, SystemUIServer, Window Manager?
  • Reply 8 of 8
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    doesn't MallocDebug show where memory leaks are?

not that I know anything about that