ebay powerbook scams?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hi... just wanted to know what you all thought about this.

So I was incredibly excited yesterday evening when a search on eBay for "G4 Powerbook" returned a Featured Plus! listing advertising a lot of 49 15.2" 1GHZ powerbooks for $1000 a pop (through Buy It Now!). Seemed too good to be true. I decided not to buy then and there, but waited to talk it over with the family, etc. I go back, credit card hot in my hand, and find that all 49 have sold. Not surprising, really. But what is funny is that when I decided to sift through the other listings, just to see if there was anything remotely like the windfall I'd just missed, I came across several ads for 17" powerbooks selling for ridiculously low prices - $940, $990, etc. All of these listings were restricted to pre-approved buyers, and so I sent a couple emails out to see how I might get on the approval list.

The replies I received were most illuminating.

One guy said that the listing was fraudulent, the goods imaginary, that his account had been used without his knowledge and that ebay was investigating it. Another gave me a lengthy response, claiming that he could only accept cash or wire transfers because he was located in Madrid, where he and his partner had bought out some bankrupt computer stores or something. Strange that an international businessman wouldn't have a single previous eBay sale to his name ("he" had been a buyer about 75 times before, however.) After the first message, it seemed clear to me that this was a scam as well. The third message came from "Jhon Doyle" (sounds like John Doe, no? or maybe that's just my newfound paranoia), and in replying to my request to be put on the approved bidders list, he gave me this lengthy story about how he was in Western Europe, starting a fledgling business with his family, and that he wanted $3300 for the machine he had advertised on eBay for a mere $990. When I emailed him back, asking what he expected to gain from advertising for a third of the price he actually wanted, the reply came from "Deborah Barsky," who said, somewhat cryptically, "because I ussually [sic] buy 30 units at once and they offer me great discounts. if you are interested.."

So.

This all seems pretty blatantly shady. The other thing is that all the other powerbooks are selling, through the standard bidding process, for something much closer to what seems to be their real market value, and I don't think that would be the case if all these amazing deals were legit... wouldn't people hold out for the windfalls and not pay full price?

Has anyone experienced something similar? Is this all old news? Should I even bother pursuing deals that seem way, way too good to be true?

Thanks,

Nick

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    it's a fraud. too good to be true because it is. don't waste your money.
  • Reply 2 of 20
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Quote:

Should I even bother pursuing deals that seem way, way too good to be true?

You honestly need this question answered?

Wow.

OK, my answer: No.
  • Reply 3 of 20
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    If you're lucky, you might get 25% but not 50-75% off any Apple product.

Just put that credit card back in your pocket.
  • Reply 4 of 20
    I was in contact with the same guy from Madrid on a lead for a 17" PB for $1500. He wanted to wire transfer to a 3rd person. It was shady, and I stayed away.

However, I really want to hear from some of those other people who bid on the PBs for $1000, and see what happened. If there are any of those out there, speak up please to fulfill my curiousity.
  • Reply 5 of 20
    Actually right now I am working with the Madrid guy... I put the money into a Westernunion account in my girlfriends name... So he can see that I have the money, but he can't pick it up until I change it to his name... (you HAVE to show a valid ID). SO we will see.
  • Reply 6 of 20
    nickgbnickgb Posts: 16member
    Quote:

Originally posted by murbot

You honestly need this question answered?

Wow.

OK, my answer: No.

Ok, notice I didn't ask "Should I blindly send my money to noncommunicative, potentially criminal people I have no reason to trust?"

I've heard plenty of first-hand stories about people getting excellent deals on eBay. The concept of obtaining some product in bulk and selling it at a big discount (especially given the decent chance that said product in this case won't be top of the line for long) isn't exactly a new one. All I was asking was whether it was worth investigating, and even that question (in my mind, anyway)was contingent on the previous questions. As the other replies in the thread so far demonstrate, it's not necessarily as naive a question as you seem to think.
  • Reply 7 of 20
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    There is no bulk discount in the world that will net you a 1GHz PowerBook for $1000. Even if there was, this guy would be an idiot to sell them that cheap.

There are no circumstances EVER that would make me buy a PowerBook from someone in freaking Madrid. I will pay for my OWN booze-laded holidays, not someone elses.

• Reply 8 of 20
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Quote:

Originally posted by nickgb

Ok, notice I didn't ask "Should I blindly send my money to noncommunicative, potentially criminal people I have no reason to trust?"

I've heard plenty of first-hand stories about people getting excellent deals on eBay. The concept of obtaining some product in bulk and selling it at a big discount (especially given the decent chance that said product in this case won't be top of the line for long) isn't exactly a new one. All I was asking was whether it was worth investigating, and even that question (in my mind, anyway)was contingent on the previous questions. As the other replies in the thread so far demonstrate, it's not necessarily as naive a question as you seem to think.

The deal with eBay is that it's a haven for scammers(yes, there are bargains too). But since you're not able to inspect the merchandise or even know if it even exists, you're rolling the dice. You can win big time or crap out. I guess it boils down to how risk adverse you are.
  • Reply 9 of 20
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    I'll add my voice to the "too good to be true usually means it is" list.

Quote:

Is this all old news?

Yes. Everyone else is (rightly) cynical/realistic about the validity of bargain auctions.
  • Reply 10 of 20
    nickgbnickgb Posts: 16member
    Thanks for all the replies. MAC GOD... I'm interested to see what happens. I sent some more emails to these guys, just for fun, and it seems they're ALL operating (if one is to believe anything they say) from Madrid or Malaga. They very nicely described how to make amoney transfer and change the name after the product is received. I mean, if it's a scam, I suppose they could operate by making fake ID's or something... maybe that's silly. I'm really curious, though. Please post any developments.
  • Reply 11 of 20
    roborobo Posts: 469member
    Quote:

Originally posted by THE MAC GOD

Actually right now I am working with the Madrid guy... I put the money into a Westernunion account in my girlfriends name... So he can see that I have the money, but he can't pick it up until I change it to his name... (you HAVE to show a valid ID). SO we will see.

Dude. It's a scam. The guy is a criminal. Don't even bother, unless you like donating money to strangers, in which case you're welcome to send some to me. My email address for PayPal is in my profile, and i prefer non credit-card PayPal payments.

-robo
  • Reply 12 of 20
    Ebay scammers of the powerbook variety generally begin by hijacking a legitimate user's account (though not always) to avail themselves of said user's hard-won feedback record.

They are based in Europe or anywhere sufficiently out of reach for local US law enforcement. They operate by western union wire service, and generally employ a third party for 'pickup' - they are paid a cut for picking up and delivering the money.

A fake ID is naturally used. You think they'd use a real one?

This person, even if apprehended, can easily deny involvement in any scams, and has no damning evidence anywhere in their personal lives. Women are often used.

As shady as the whole scam is, the greedy are lured in by the prospect of easy gain, and ignore the warning signs because they want to believe it is true.

A fool and his money are soon parted.
  • Reply 13 of 20
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    Wow. I can't believe that about 1/4 of ads under the PowerBook section; 1/4 under the PowerMac section; 1/3 under the Apple Monitor section in eBay are FRAUDS!

And eBay claims there's only 2% of ads in the entire eBay community are fraud

Their (ebay) ass has been exposed in air way too long
  • Reply 14 of 20
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    My good friend (against my advice) ordered a TiBook 800 for one grand from a Hijacked User after only a few correspondences with the seller.

Luckily, just before he sent the money, eBay sent him a notice that the User had been suspended for suspicious activity, and that the transaction was void if he wanted it to be.

And even then he asked me if he should still go through with it
  • Reply 15 of 20
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bauman

My good friend (against my advice) ordered a TiBook 800 for one grand from a Hijacked User after only a few correspondences with the seller.

Luckily, just before he sent the money, eBay sent him a notice that the User had been suspended for suspicious activity, and that the transaction was void if he wanted it to be.

And even then he asked me if he should still go through with it

Take him to mental hospital
  • Reply 16 of 20
    I guess (I don't know of any examples first hand) that the other reason for some "to good to be true" offers come when stolen computers are sold foway below market value. I would not want to add to a thief's fortune by buying hot items.

I propably will never buy a computer from e-bay. I just don't beleive there is any such thing as a good deal on a new model. Never worth the risk. I think the only trustworthy deal on an Apple is by student discount (not really a great deal in my state) or for refurbished goods (watch out for the warranty).
  • Reply 17 of 20
    rysa4rysa4 Posts: 2member
    Hi all. I wanted to share my ebay story which led to my having this totally cool G4 Powerbook with me today. I buy a bunch on ebay and have never had a problem, but buying the PB was indeed a stretch becuase of the obvious fraud issue. My sellers ad was obviously very original and lengthy with unique pics including ad-ons he had purchsed, namely the carrying case and this LCD protector thing. There was also a paragraph about his concerns regarding ebay scammers, both buyers and sellers. We emailed and gave each other direct line phone numbers and we both came to the conclusion that we were both on the up and up. The easy stuff was that his feedback was 100%, he allowed for insurance and credit card for payment, and emailed with his work number and straightforward yet detailed information. In reality, though, I basically "trusted my gut" as they say. And he did well as well. I got a 12 inch G4 PB with airport extreme installed, 640 MB, a 60meg Fujitsu absolutely silent hard drive, full software updates(no biggee) plus the extras and a compulsive guys quality check on it all plus the remaining 9 months on the warranty plus this link as well as others, and next day fed ex shipping. He got lightning verified payment by credit card. So it worked for me. But I wasnt looking to save mega-money either. I wanted the extras, but not for the apple store price. So it can work but you have to look at these things I mentioned and then trust your instincts. BTW-- I strongly urge avoidance of overseas transactions--I hope this is a no brainer.
  • Reply 18 of 20
    I also got a little excited by one of these auctions. I emailed the guy who said he was in Europe somewhere and gave the whole story about the computer store and Western Union wire transfers. Immediately my scam radar went crazy. My rule of thumb is that if someone closes the auction to pre-approved bidders only then you should not be bidding.
  • Reply 19 of 20
    objra10objra10 Posts: 679member
    Quote:

Although apparently some here on the the left think I'm not a very intelligent one, I am a US Attorney and work specifically with fraud and consumer protection issues. For what it's worth - I deal with close to close to 70 fraud cases a month, and at least half of those come from the internet and ebay.

It's not worth it.
  • Reply 20 of 20
    rysa4rysa4 Posts: 2member
    Quote:

Originally posted by OBJRA10

Although apparently some here on the the left think I'm not a very intelligent one, I am a US Attorney and work specifically with fraud and consumer protection issues. For what it's worth - I deal with close to close to 70 fraud cases a month, and at least half of those come from the internet and ebay.

It's not worth it.

Hi OBJRA10! In your experience are there certain commonalities or patterns that you see in your cases? All of my Ebay transcations have been smooth and sometimes it was the only way to obtain the product I wanted regardless of price. I have a formula ( sort of) in assessing auctions but some of your info and insight could be useful me thinks.