Canon Printer Problems, Need Help From Others

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I have a Canon S520 printer and i have updated to the newest drivers for it..i'm on Mac OS 10.2.6 on a Dual 867Mhz PowerMac.....yet i can't get the ink level information to work....it keeps telling me my inks are full. But when i open the door on the printer and it shows me the inks i can see with my own eyes they are around %75 left in them....i keep clicking update and nothing....is this just me or is it a software thing with everyone else? I hope it's not a hardware issue as the printer has been working fantastic since i got it in February this year.

I hope other Canon S520 people can reply or Canon owners reply as i'm not sure if this is a normal issue with this brand.

Thank you all for your time.

Frank_t

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    russsrusss Posts: 115member
    I have a Canon i550 and the ink level info always shows full. It's also connected to a WinXP box and the ink level always shows full on it too.

I don't know why it doesn't work, but I wouldn't worry about it.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    frank_tfrank_t Posts: 428member
    But it should work...if it's there why not?

Frank_t
  • Reply 3 of 6
    i have a canon i850, and it always shows ink levels at full, until they're "empty" and then all of a sudden the ink level drops from max to empty. I always ignore the warnings until a print is visibly missing the color (many, many more full color prints after the warning comes on). Still, I'd rather have it this way with individually changeable ink tanks than my epson where all the ink levels spitefully marched down the indicator in unison.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    frank_tfrank_t Posts: 428member
    Why is this considered ok? It should work....that is like someone buying a TV set but the remote doesn't work....it's a feature...why should it be OK for it not to work?

frank_t
  • Reply 5 of 6
    yomamayomama Posts: 21member
    Just a thought: I don?t own this unit but perhaps Canon?s intentions were a bit more simply minded: the feature simply indicates that the unit has sufficient ink or it doesn?t (i.e., a go, no go indicator). If so, I would have to agree that it seems a bit deceptive, disappointing.

I own a Canon MultiPass F50 and it only signals when it is out of ink. No early warning mechanism.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    I own a Canon i320 and the color tank is shown as nearly full, while the B/W tank is about 20%, and there's a little yellow circle with an "!" in it above that tank's indicator. That one has been going down steadily since I installed it, so for me at least it seems to work as advertised.