ISDN & BT problems from UK newbie

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I'm in the UK and currently using British Telecom's Home Highway (ISDN) via USB to access the 'net (no chance of broadband in the wilds!) and Virgin as an ISP.

Unfortunately, the connection goes down randomly, usually after 40 mins, and I am unable to disconnect - hit the disconnect button in Internet Connect and 'Disconnecting' appears for ever in the menu bar. Forced to restart to reconnect, which is a bit tedious.

So, accepting that I'm a newbie and possibly missing the obvious, has anyone any advice?

I guess UK members may be able to advise on the specifics of BT and Virgin, but anything to avoid rebooting each time would be good too (getting a bit reminiscent of M$ etc).

PS have unchecked 'disconnect if idle' and 'check every x mins' in PPP options, so it's not that obvious

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    lixlix Posts: 56member
    Are you using the USB port on the side of the HH box? Are you running Classic or OS X?
  • Reply 2 of 11
    Thanks lix, had almost given up hope on this one.

Running OS X (10.2.3) on a 12" PowerBook. Connecting via USB, cable direct from PB to BT box. Worse if it runs through a USB hub...

Had a look at the connection log the last time it failed - it thought that it had been a normal disconnect, only the message in the dock suggested otherwise. What app do I need to quit get rid of the'Disconnecting ' message and enable a redial?

My suspicion is that the problem is probably BT's driver, which, knowing them, will never be updated, plus a crappy connection/ISP. Never had the problem on the PC though, which leads me back to the driver for ISDN USB.

It really is becoming a pain in the ass - having to reboot every 40 or so mins is not my idea of Mac stability \ Bring on broadband for the sticks...
  • Reply 3 of 11
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    run the command
    Code:

from the terminal

there should be a process called pppd or something like that

kill that process and it should stop the continuous disconnect message in the menu bar...
  • Reply 4 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by Paul

run the command Code:

from the terminal

there should be a process called pppd or something like that

kill that process and it should stop the continuous disconnect message in the menu bar...

Thanks - will give it a go. Due to go down in, oh, 5 minutes from now...
  • Reply 5 of 11
    No joy

Looks like a driver problem with no easy answers...will try dial-up instead of USB now.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    lixlix Posts: 56member
    Have you downloaded the latest drivers available http://www.bt.com/homehighway/more_i...sb_drivers.htm

BT Digital Access USB R2B 5.72 - Last Updated 14 July 2003
  • Reply 7 of 11
    Yeah, tried that but no joy.

Have ordered a Hermstedt USB ISDN modem - hoping to have more luck with that and maybe change ISP - are MacAce.net still on the go?
  • Reply 8 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by genesurgeon

No joy \\

do you mean there was no process called pppd (or anything with a ppp in it for that matter) or that when you killed it it didn't reset the Internet Connect menuitem?
  • Reply 9 of 11
    Found the process, killed it but 'Disconnect' message didn't vanish.

Having said that, I'm no Unix expert, but sat down with a book, found the process number with 'top' and ran a 'kill' command, so I reckon I did all the right moves. Intro to Unix for a newbie switcher....

Have also tried logging out and back in again, still no joy, so stuck with rebooting, or getting in earlier with a manual disconnect.

Consensus seems to be the modem driver is the problem, so see earlier post - new modem, new driver, proably new ISP.

As a switcher (not sure I like the term\ ) I'm hugely enjoying the Mac experience so far, so am determined to overcome this glitch. Just bring on a better price/spec iMac, but that's a whole different thread Not sure about Safari yet..
  • Reply 10 of 11
    next time after you kill it--actually, try to kill the same pid twice, even if you think it went through. Then check top to make sure it is really gone...

It was tricky for me to figure out too. I have to do this when I use my cell phone as a USB modem-if I lose the connection the menu freezes on disconnect as well... a quick trip to the terminal and futzing around in there always does the trick...

it IS a driver problem, but this should get around it so you can connect at will...

has your computer ever had kernel panic because of this issue?

also try to disconnect the modem and then kill the process if it still wont go away... then reconnect and try to sign on...
  • Reply 11 of 11
    No kernal panic (at least not at the same time as modem hanging).

Sounds like exactly the same problem as yours - mine is, I think, also triggered by sleep mode.

Anyway, judging by this evening's experience, 29 mins to go to test it!

Thanks for all the advice!