analog video

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
What would I need to get my old Sony camcorder (analog) to work with my mac?

-I've seen USB adapters, but they don't seem to work with imovie (I would like to use this program).

-Does Final Cut Express support analog video, or would I have to invest 1000$00 and go for Final Cut Pro?

-Is there any application that would allow me to use imovie? (some kind of analog/digital converter)

-Are there USB adapters compatible with Windows AND mac?

I would highly appreciate any tips that would help me to use this camcorder.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    Quote:

Originally posted by future-ex-pc-user

-I've seen USB adapters, but they don't seem to work with imovie (I would like to use this program).

-Does Final Cut Express support analog video, or would I have to invest 1000$00 and go for Final Cut Pro?

-Is there any application that would allow me to use imovie? (some kind of analog/digital converter)

Future,

I also just switched from PC to Mac in April. I have done more video editing since then than every before. My first question to you (although consider my experience) is what kind of analog video is it? Hi 8, VHS? I use the Canopus ADVC 100 to convert old VHS and VHS-C tape to my Mac. Any old Hi-8 tapes that I have can be just played in my Sony digital 8 camcorder. I do use Final Cut Pro, but the ADVC 100 is supposed to work with any software that will read a camcorder. Dont know if this helps. Lemme know.

Kyle Perkins
  • Reply 2 of 2
    k_munick_munic Posts: 357member
    Quote:

Originally posted by future-ex-pc-user

to 1)

usb adapters are just able to convert analog video into mpeg1, which has a quality less then vhs. iMovie does need the video as a"dv stream", which is an export format of qt pro, so many differenmt kind of video can be converted - EXCEPT mpeg1/2, 'cause these fiel format has so called muxxed streams (audo + video are "mixed" together; qt can make a playback but no conversion)

to 2)

same here: FCE supports just .dv files. and FCP just supports any kind of "digital streams (except you're an professional movie maker, using 24fps material etc. there's no need for FCP)

to 3)

yes, there are lots of "hardware" converters on the market. depends of what kind of mac you use. i have a CUBE, so i did need an external solution, which i found in a formac studio tv box. if you plan just to convert analog to digital, you don't need the "tv" version of this converter. the formac is integrated into iMovie/FCE, which means, you will find it as a "sourve" like an external camera, very easy to use.

you connect your camera/player with the box and click import in your editing program.

just a hint: don't wonder whats happenig when you import you're homemovies into iMovie: it has a limitation of 2Gb per file, so after 7min you get another clip, after 7min another a.s.o.

if you have an expandable G4, look for PCI cards with video input, afaik, tehre some recommended on the apple website.

enjoy video processing on a mac - you will spend hours, days, month...