More virus woes for the foolish...

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I've received the sobig virus about ten times in 12 hours, all from different sources, and all with different names for the attachment. This virus must be big.

Thank goodness I can just delete it.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    russsrusss Posts: 115member
    I almost got it. Looks like .mac runs it through a virus scan and removes it before you ever see it.

Here's the added text from the e-mail:

Quote:

The attachment thank_you.pif with this email was found to contain the W32.Sobig.F@mm virus and could not be disinfected. The attachment has been removed from the email. Please ask the sender to repair and resend it.

This message has been processed by Brightmail(TM) Anti-Virus using

Symantec's Norton AntiVirus Technology.

Thank you Apple!
  • Reply 2 of 8
    donny1donny1 Posts: 33member
    Yep, I got it quite a few times yesterday as well. More annoying cleaning up my inbox and deleting them than anything.

Was tempted to forward one to my friend who keeps telling me to get a 'real' computer, but thought better of it!
  • Reply 3 of 8
    People must be just lazy. My PC has Norton and it catches it immediately.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    gardnerjgardnerj Posts: 167member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jukebox Hero

People must be just lazy. My PC has Norton and it catches it immediately.

Likewise for my old gaming pc, i don't think its a case of laziness though more likely ignorance.

Most people i know have firewalls and anti virus software installed (ok so i work in an IT department) but its not rocket science.

I was quite amused by our email admin saying how busy he was fighting off all these viri until i pointed out surely i was just a case of updating the virus definitions on the mail gateway and then getting the coffee's in.

Might take a trip to pc world this weekend and see how many people are being sold anti virus software ...
  • Reply 5 of 8
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    I got about 7 or 8 of these emails in the last day or so. A few made it through .Mac with the attachment still included.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    I haven't got any, and I'm in the address book of a person who got infected.

edit: Actually, I did get one, but my junk mail filters filtered it out.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    ionyzionyz Posts: 491member
    Received 25 in the last 15 hours. Not from my .Mac account but still its annoying.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    Ah man I should go check my Yahoo! account, I use it for junk mail and old stuff, I haven't cleaned it out in about a month... My .Mac email just got 2 more.