Evolution of ibook will be a tablet

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Today powerbook and ibook overleap.

The 12" powerbook is an ibook...

The 14" ibook is a powerbook...

Prices are quite different but I think today the 12" powerbook should cost less.

Apple will introduce a new smaller portable, like a tablet.

Students will use it, architects and graphics too.

Not a pda but the best tablet: small, powerful and with a 4/5 hours battery. PC tablets are bulky, not powerful and have 2hours of life.

Tablet Mac will be what ipod was for mp3 players.

Ok... I know... SJ said Tablet is a niche market...: but he introduced eMac for students, a niche market too and was a success... tablet iBook could be something thought for students but sold to everyone... every student could have an eMac and a tablet...

Ok I am dreaming...

Just to put another new thread about tablet...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 39
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    No, the iBook won't become a tablet - tablets aren't selling.

The eMac is still a regular computer - nothing special about it.
  • Reply 2 of 39
    there will be a tablet if they find a use for it that they discovered. or if they improved it so it's more useable.

i cite the ipod as an example of apple blowing all existing mp3 players out of the sky when we thought mp3 players were as good as they'll ever get
  • Reply 3 of 39
    nevoznevoz Posts: 44member
    JLL:

"No, the iBook won't become a tablet - tablets aren't selling."

Tablet aren't selling... but the same happened with mp3 player.

Tablet today is not a real tablet but a notebook with handwriting recognition that is less powerful and less durable then normal notebook of equal price.

The question is: is the tablet a good concept?

Today is there the tecnology to built one and put in the market?

If the answer is yes then I think Apple could build one...

eMac is a normal pc ok... but Apple tried to sell it only to education market (remember?) and then to every one when every one asked for it.

Education market is a big niche market.. and a tablet is suitable for that market and for every one who need it (like me for example...: something to draw in vectorspace and record drawing everywhere even in the yard)
  • Reply 4 of 39
    Quote:

Originally posted by nevoz

Tablet aren't selling... but the same happened with mp3 player.

?? MP3 players were selling - Apple just made a better one and entered a profitable market.

Quote:

The question is: is the tablet a good concept?

I don't think so. Bad sales numbers of tablets and PDAs seem to indicate that people don't like to write on their computers with a pen.

The Tablet PC tried to create a need - not fill one.

Quote:

eMac is a normal pc ok... but Apple tried to sell it only to education market (remember?) and then to every one when every one asked for it.

Education market is a big niche market.. and a tablet is suitable for that market and for every one who need it (like me for example...: something to draw in vectorspace and record drawing everywhere even in the yard)

Education is a niche market? They don't use special equipment. The eMac is still a regular computer and the success of the eMac is not because it does something better than other Macs. The reason for it's success is that it's cheap.

You're comparing two very different things.
  • Reply 5 of 39
    nevoznevoz Posts: 44member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JLL

.... Bad sales numbers of tablets and PDAs seem to indicate that people don't like to write on their computers with a pen.

The Tablet PC tried to create a need - not fill one....

I think this is the core of the question and probably you are right.

I'd like one for I need it, but perhaps is not a mass market product...

• Reply 6 of 39
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    SJ said Apple would not release a tablet--- a capsule perhaps.
  • Reply 7 of 39
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacsRGood4U

SJ said Apple would not release a tablet--- a capsule perhaps.

Hehe. (and capsule -> pod)
  • Reply 8 of 39
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Oh they will, will they? They won't be letting any type of computer out they're doors without a keyboard. Period. Maybe one of those flip-screens, but not a true tablet.

Frankly, I don't see the appeal.
  • Reply 9 of 39
    I think just like the iPod, Apple could release a better tablet.

It would be handy to have one, especially while watching a movie when you re in a cramped space. Use it as a notepad. Who really needs hand recognition that bad? It will get better as time goes on, as long as people work on it, but for now I think that it would better for taking notes in class, get rid of all that paper and those loud typing sounds. Hey, if someone needed your notes, they don't have to 'borrow' yours, because you will never, ever, get them back: all you do is just send them a jpeg of your notes.

Now that would be the life.

(apply to business meetings, huge-sized palm-pilot, and just good'ol portable, yet flexible, computing.)

OH WHOA--we are no where to take keyboards away from computers. So who ever thought of that idea is a dill-hole, but at least they are trying to pave a way, too bad that way has many cliffs and active volcanoes between you and successful accomplishment. A true tablet that is useble today would have some sort of keyboard fold out.
  • Reply 10 of 39
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    TAKE A LOOK AT THIS SONY APPLE COULD ALSO DO IT

make it a tablet,wireless, video, etc

personnel entertainment center whoooaaaahhhh

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/techrev...-pegux50_x.htm
  • Reply 11 of 39
    jrcjrc Posts: 817member
    Quote:

Originally posted by NOFEER

I would like the iPod to branch off into this, melded with a palm/macoslite device.
  • Reply 12 of 39
    Quote:

Originally posted by macnn sux

i cite the ipod as an example of apple blowing all existing mp3 players out of the sky when we thought mp3 players were as good as they'll ever get

heh, kind of funny that, I was >.< this close to getting a rio something er other, or a nomad(256 megs or something)

but I kept saying to myself, sooner or later someone will release something in the gb range that isn't twice the size of a cd player.

what I'm consistenly amazed with is how small HDs are getting, and flash memory too, didn't someone recently created a 4 gig flash card? of course it will probably cost a fortune now, but still, 5-10 years down the line high capacity media players will have the capability to be sooo damn tiny.
  • Reply 13 of 39
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    We'll probably have a different music compression format five years from now.
  • Reply 14 of 39
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Tablet PC's not selling? Where's the proof in that, every manufacture I know of is reporting record sells for this so called niche machines. Acer is coming out with two more models just to keep up with demand. Pen computing should of been the industry norm for every notebook by now. I can't believe I lived this long without my HP 1000. The fact that Apple has not come out with their own makes them more DELL like and less innovative. Sit back and see what the market is like in a year or two, there just might not be any room.
  • Reply 15 of 39
    Quote:

Originally posted by Relic

Tablet PC's not selling? Where's the proof in that, every manufacture I know of is reporting record sells for this so called niche machines.

In Europe the sales dropped 31% last quarter, and that's compared to a not so hot quarter before that.
  • Reply 16 of 39
    taztaz Posts: 74member
    The concept of a tablet PC in and of itself is neat, however, the technology to make them happen efficiently isnt there right now. There is also the problem of definitions. What exactly do we want a tablet to do? Answering that question will define the size, shape, power requirements. None of these questions are truly answered right now, which is why each tablet is nothing more than a bastardized laptop.
  • Reply 17 of 39
    macgregormacgregor Posts: 1,434member
    Quote:

Originally posted by NOFEER

This device obviously isn't perfect and $700 is pretty steep...though within reason considering what it can do.

I think the pda at least proved that that size device will sell. People will carry them around as long as they are getting the functionality that they want. I think pda's are dropping off because the form hasn't evolved fast enough to make it so compelling once you get a modern cell phone.

This device is actually smaller than a pda and I don't know about its quality of experience, but I can see that it is inching closer to the killer "experience" (not killer app) that will make portable video/WiFi worth buying. That is all we are waiting for anyway.

As for the Tablet...I have always wanted the option for keyboard-free computing, and I think it can be done in a compelling way even now, but I am resigned with the fact that the general public and geeks alike will not accept it yet....like some of the myopic, keyboard-centric folks on this board. Oh well.
  • Reply 18 of 39
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:

Originally posted by TAZ

...What exactly do we want a tablet to do? Answering that question will define the size, shape, power requirements. None of these questions are truly answered right now, which is why each tablet is nothing more than a bastardized laptop.

the question was never asked.
  • Reply 19 of 39
    brbr Posts: 8,395member
    Quote:

Today powerbook and ibook overleap.

The 12" powerbook is an ibook...

The 14" ibook is a powerbook...

Prices are quite different but I think today the 12" powerbook should cost less.

Apple will introduce a new smaller portable, like a tablet.

Students will use it, architects and graphics too.

Not a pda but the best tablet: small, powerful and with a 4/5 hours battery. PC tablets are bulky, not powerful and have 2hours of life.

Tablet Mac will be what ipod was for mp3 players.

Ok... I know... SJ said Tablet is a niche market...: but he introduced eMac for students, a niche market too and was a success... tablet iBook could be something thought for students but sold to everyone... every student could have an eMac and a tablet...

Ok I am dreaming...

Just to put another new thread about tablet...

The eMac was custom built for the Los Angeles Unified School District. That is hardly a niche market.
  • Reply 20 of 39
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    I thought I had purged these fora of their errant tablet talk? hahaha...

Why does every tablet maker see the need to bodge on a keyboard of some type? I'll tell ya, because the keyboard is a superior imput system, both for text and for navigation. The tablet is partly the dream of non-typists , but there aren't very many of those around any more, if you are a non-typist, SHAME on YOU!!! I used to hunt and peck quite a bit, but over the years I've pretty much learned to touch type after my own style, I still mostly use my index and middle fingers, and don't hold my hands tot he right position, but I get out 50-60wpm, much faster than anyone can write.

IF there were to be a tablet, it would be a 12" PB derivative, NOT an iBook, and it would have a flip around screen with a keyboard, NOT a pure tablet because basically keyboards are indispensable and Apple knows it. They could make an Xwide type subnote (like the Sony picturebooks) that doesn't sacrifice the keyboard size/layout, just re-cuts the screen and footprint to fit that dimension. Then double hinge the screen so that it converts to tablet mode when you want. Done, a tablet.

But that still has problems. I guarantee you that most of the tablets sold end up being used with their keyboards, and/or in laptop mode most all of the time.

Why? tablets ARE NOT convenient. Every held a two pound note pad and tried to write on it while standing? Can't do it for long, you have to sit down. The moment you sit, a keyboard is a better choice. The tablet is only good when you don't have to free hands because you have to stand and prop up the machine. But, make it too big and it's awkward to write on, make it too small and it's awkward both to read from and to write on.

If you just want a cheapy tablet for taking notes and stuff, then it has to be no bigger than a DVD jewel case/trade paperback, but that is NOT a iBook replacement, just a supplement to computing for people that need to work standing up/on the go -- journos, engineers in labs, doctors, some (few) students.