Hard-Rubbish For Free ..Yippee..!!!!

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Every year our council area puts a note in every household letter box, inviting people to leave all their unwanted hard-goods & white - goods ( fridges etc ) on the side of the footpath, where they will be picked up by council workers and later dumped.

Mostly it is garden refuse, wheel barrows with big holes in them, broken flower pots and the like...

But ( and this is the part I really like )..a lot of the wealthier types use this opportunity to rid themselves of unwanted furniture, computers etc etc.

Last year, my girlfriend and I collected a Chesterfield lounge " Sherwood Green " all leather..she has it now and is forever grinning about her find...No marks or stains..& $3000 new. Hers cost $ 5 in petrol money..

We also picked up three Oil heaters, an electric fan, one perfectly working Sony VHS ( 6 heads ) machine with remote..It was stuffed into a DVD box..so obviously upgrading household...

Tons of old books, but the best was the old folding camera I found. All wood & brass and bellows...made by Zeiss.

I soooo love these unofficial community " trash & treasure " days.

Strictly speaking we're not meant to pick up anything left out for the council to collect..but the authorities turn a blind eye..knowing its being recycled instead of dumped.

Can't wait..

Hmm I need a newish mountain bike..

Who knows....maybe even a disgarded Mac " Cube " will show up...

.....he says daydreaming with a smile on his dial.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    A treasure trove at the side of the road.

In Chicago people always leave their junk in the back ally knowing the "junk man" will pick it up. There was an apple monitor out there that I didn't bother picking up. It must have been broken right? The junk man was seen with it on his handle bars making his way down the road.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    Where I live they have these big item pick up days once a month. My wife threatened to beat me with a stick if I came home with any more items.

I'm still looking for a good rototiller though.

My last decent find was at a yard sale. A fully functional modern fax machine (Sharp UX-330L) for $5. We don't fax often, about once a month so it sure came in handy.

Nick
  • Reply 3 of 3
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    Quote:

Originally posted by trumptman

Where I live they have these big item pick up days once a month. My wife threatened to beat me with a stick if I came home with any more items.

I'm still looking for a good rototiller though.

My last decent find was at a yard sale. A fully functional modern fax machine (Sharp UX-330L) for $5. We don't fax often, about once a month so it sure came in handy.

Nick

Tell her it's like Father Christmas for grown ups..

And if that doesn't work..

tell her an urban myth about a woman. ( make sure its a woman ) who picked up a Gucci Handbag..but not just any old Gucci handbag..this one apparently had..a stack of juicy love letters & $500.. in crisp foldables..

( the love letters will get her ) Ahh... the female brain..