OpenOffice for Mac Delayed Until 2006!

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
According to the OpenOffice web site, the Mac port of OpenOffice is not expected until Q1 2006.

This is due to the graphics API currently being used. Apparently, it just plain won't work with Quartz/Aqua, so they're waiting until version 2.0 of the Office suite, which will have a more compatible API. However, that edition won't be out until mid-2005, and the Mac port will take some time after that.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,415member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kesh

According to the OpenOffice web site, the Mac port of OpenOffice is not expected until Q1 2006.

This is due to the graphics API currently being used. Apparently, it just plain won't work with Quartz/Aqua, so they're waiting until version 2.0 of the Office suite, which will have a more compatible API. However, that edition won't be out until mid-2005, and the Mac port will take some time after that.

Geez my Son is really going to enjoy OpenOffice 3.0 in 2020 at graduation
  • Reply 2 of 7
    ionyzionyz Posts: 491member
    Sounds like Apple may want to step in to speed things up. They have done great things with KHTML, and we all know the state of AppleWorks.

Come on Apple, make it happen.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    Maybe OpenOffice is trying to get Apple invovled. By delaying an Aqua version of OpenOffice, they might think that Apple will step in and help out.

Ok, it's a stupid theory.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    I'm not surprised. They were already about a year and a half behind schedule. \
  • Reply 5 of 7
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    If the schedule mysteriously got moved up, I would bet that would reflect Apple's clandestine involvement in the project. The fact that the opposite has happened doesn't bode well for that idea.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

I'm not surprised. They were already about a year and a half behind schedule. \

You called this some time ago. :/ Too bad. I was looking forward to a non-MS office solution. Come on, Apple! Get it together and put something out...
  • Reply 7 of 7
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    Apple donates hardware to them, as they do to many open-source organisations (which are seen to benefit Apple), for instance VideoLAN and the K Company.

Barto