Canon CanoScan LiDE 20: experiences on OS X?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hello all-

I am seriously considering buying a Canon CanoScan LiDE 20 and was wondering what people's experiences with it under OS X were. I have read varying posts in different forums online -- it looks like it didn't have OS X support until relatively recently. I don't do a lot of scanning but it would be very handy to have. I don't have Photoshop, but I do have an older (Carbon 4.0.7) version of GraphicsConverter. Does the scanner come with OS X software that can import scans into a file format (bitmap, tiff, gif, jpeg, whatever) that is readable by GraphicsConverter?

Oh, for what it's worth, I have a a DP 450 MHz G4 running OS X 10.2.6.

Thanks in advance for any experiences anyone has had,

jf

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    The scanner plug-in software should be compatible with Graphic Converter; it's just a Photoshop plug-in, and I believe I read reports of people successfully using it with GC. Avoid the stand-alone Toolbox software if possible, it's a POS. The plug-in is farly good though.

If you do have to use the Toolbox, it does scan using regular TIFF and JPEG file formats, and it does have what would be some nice features, like linking scanned images to open in another app (except that since the software doesn't recognize OS X application bundles, you have to find the actual executable inside the app), for editing, email, etc. Also, the OCR software still isn't OS X native.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Is *THAT* how you get it to link to the other apps!!!

My wife will be thrilled, thanks.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    ...and what's annoying about that aside from the obvious stupidity of it, is that all executables have that generic app icon, so you can't tell at a glance which app is linkedin the main toolbox window.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    i can confirm it does work well with graphic converter
  • Reply 5 of 5
    reynardreynard Posts: 160member
    Im glad I was surfing the genius bar, Im in the market for similar things.

Personally, I was considering the model one level up, theLiDE 30. Its resolution is 1200 vs. 600 for the LiDE 20.

At Amazon I found this:

LiDE 20: $42.69

LiDE 30: $66.00

I was an Apple store in Santa Monica, CA where they had if for retail--$79. I asked about the driver and he said the drivers for OSX were available for download. And that appears to be the case as I peruse the Canon sight.

I like that the USB cord supplies the power. One wire. Would be even better if it were Firewire.

(BTW, no G-5 there yet. "Some day next week.)