X-Windows from the OSX command prompt

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Hello

I've been trying to run X-Windows from the command prompt on 10.2 on a G4 tower and an iBook. The iBook comes up with the grey screen of death and that's the end of it...any insight? thanks

Vince

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    Quote:

Originally posted by vinnyman29

Hello

I've been trying to run X-Windows from the command prompt on 10.2 on a G4 tower and an iBook. The iBook comes up with the grey screen of death and that's the end of it...any insight? thanks

Vince

The X server starts up fine for me using "open /Applications/X11.app". After it starts, I can bring up X-base applications with standard invocations, like "xterm".

I can also, without starting the server, invoke X applications to display on another server: "xterm -display somewhere:0" with no problems.

Are you trying to do something more significant than this, such as run GNOME or KDE window managers?

John
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Quote:

Originally posted by John Whitney

The X server starts up fine for me using "open /Applications/X11.app". After it starts, I can bring up X-base applications with standard invocations, like "xterm".

I can also, without starting the server, invoke X applications to display on another server: "xterm -display somewhere:0" with no problems.

Are you trying to do something more significant than this, such as run GNOME or KDE window managers?

John

yes i'd like to run KDE, i'm a very novice user of linux, however i have a friend who is a network administrator for fairly large company and he teaches me most of what i know. we were putzing around with the command prompt and couldnt get much to work other than standard system info and networking stuff such as ftp, telnet, samba etc. i forget the one thing we couldnt do, but anyways....do you know if i will be able to make a G5 into a dual boot...os x and mandrake? like i said im new to this so i just want to start messin around and learning...thanks.

vince
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Quote:

Originally posted by vinnyman29

do you know if i will be able to make a G5 into a dual boot...os x and mandrake?

I doubt it. There is support for 64-bit PowerPCs in the Linux kernel, but I'm not sure how extensive it is, and I don't know of any standard distribution that would be using it. Yellow Dog Linux ships G3/G4 based distributions, they might be your best bet.

John