Current 12 incher question.....

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
how well does the current 12" powerbook run Maya? (and obviously rendering)

assuming: 640mb of ram

867 G4.....

will the upgrade to 1 ghz be a huge difference??

also I can currently buy the PB for 1399 will the new PB be the same price or will I have to shell out 15 or 1600?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Um? Great!
  • Reply 2 of 9
    excellent, thanks for the info!!!
  • Reply 3 of 9
    I doubt you'll find many people here that have run Maya on a 12" Powerbook. Maybe not a good idea considering the lacking cache.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    ok, so it would be better to wait....(I need something really portable...and at home I can hook it up to a bigger monitor, so its not the screen size so much..)..I use Maya A LOT so I was wondering what would be a good system to run maya on....L3...1ghz..
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Well maybe when the new 15" comes along that would be good?
  • Reply 6 of 9
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    ...wait for new 15" if you can, I really doubt Maya will run well (render fast) on a 12". Is money an issue?
  • Reply 7 of 9
    I currently have $1900....
  • Reply 8 of 9
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    Quote:

Originally posted by blackwind212

I currently have $1900....

blackwind212: I've never even seen Maya run. But from everything I've read, it's a terribly resource-intensive app. So I doubt it would be a good idea to get a 12-inch to run Maya, even if you had a large external display at home. My hunch is that for your money, a revised low-end 15-inch PowerBook will be a much better bet. For running heavy 3D apps, buy the fastest hardware (your available) money can buy.

Escher
  • Reply 9 of 9
    I was messing with Maya last night on my 1ghz Tibook with a gig of RAM and it seemed to do ok. I need to get my 19inch CRT hooked up to give a bit more room for the app. Now, I'm just learning, so I don't have a feel for render time and the like, but it seems a good portable solution.