Unearthing PPC 970 Info

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
We can speculate until the cows come home on production schedules, clock speeds, ect, or we can dig up some more dirt. The PPC 970 PDF linked <a href="http://www.ibm.com/chips/techlib/techlib.nsf/techdocs/A1387A29AC1C2AE087256C5200611780"; target="_blank">here</a> lists a Senior PowerPC Processor Architect, Peter Sandon. Why don't we just post some questions here in this form, then I will just email them to him (In one large email, we do not want to harass him). Lots of PPC 970 info is now public knowledge, so he may be able to answer additional questions or clarify statements. After all, it is better to be proactive than reactive.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    algolalgol Posts: 833member
    Great Idea!

Ask him about wether it has VPC. Whats his name stated earlier that he though it did. I think VPC was supposed to be the ability to use multiple CPUs as one CPU. As in dual 1.8Ghz would really = 3.6Ghz. Or something like this. Other people that know more would be able to ask better questions.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    Bad Idea!

Why not wait until Hannibal at ArsTechnica posts his next article about the 970. He already has a relationship with a contact at IBM that is difficult enough to get answers out of. If you must ask questions, send them to him. See the 2/2/2003 - 11:44PM update at:

<a href="http://www.arstechnica.com/"; target="_blank">http://www.arstechnica.com/</a>;

The last thing we want is to have an IBM manager pissed at a bunch of Mac rumor mongers.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    I have to say I'm with Ununnilium on this one.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    [quote]Originally posted by Ununnilium:

<strong>Bad Idea!

Why not wait until Hannibal at ArsTechnica posts his next article about the 970. He already has a relationship with a contact at IBM that is difficult enough to get answers out of. If you must ask questions, send them to him. See the 2/2/2003 - 11:44PM update at:

The last thing we want is to have an IBM manager pissed at a bunch of Mac rumor mongers.</strong><hr></blockquote>

What's the big deal? Why would anyone get upset by being sent a letter asking some questions about what they're working on??? If he's able to answer, he'd probably be happy to. If not, he'd probably say he's under ND. Why would he get upset????????

And, if I might ask, who cares if he got upset anyway? What's he going to do? Stop production of the 970? Hold it back? Get real.

And which do you think he and IBM would prefer? Someone coming straight to them asking questions in the open or ArsTechnica's secret source spilling the beans behind their back?

If I were to guess, I'd say that Ununnilium was associated with Hannibal or ArsTechnica in some way and doesn't want to be upstaged.

[ 02-03-2003: Message edited by: Faeylyn ]</p>
  • Reply 5 of 8
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    [quote]Originally posted by Faeylyn:

<strong>

What's the big deal? Why would anyone get upset by being sent a letter asking some questions about what they're working on??? If he's able to answer, he'd probably be happy to. If not, he'd probably say he's under ND. Why would he get upset????????

And, if I might ask, who cares if he got upset anyway? What's he going to do? Stop production of the 970? Hold it back? Get real.

And which do you think he and IBM would prefer? Someone coming straight to them asking questions in the open or ArsTechnica's secret source spilling the beans behind their back?

If I were to guess, I'd say that Ununnilium was associated with Hannibal or ArsTechnica in some way and doesn't want to be upstaged.

[ 02-03-2003: Message edited by: Faeylyn ]</strong><hr></blockquote>That is just silly. If you had a job, would you want a bunch of college students filling your inbox with questions about it?

[ 02-03-2003: Message edited by: Mr. Me ]</p>
  • Reply 6 of 8
    redericrederic Posts: 124member
    Yes
  • Reply 7 of 8
    [quote]Originally posted by Mr. Me:

<strong>That is just silly. If you had a job, would you want a bunch of college students filling your inbox with questions about it?

</strong><hr></blockquote>

What's silly is people getting uptight about sending an innocent email as if they guy is a god. And, if you bothered to actually read the original post, you'd see why your reply is equally silly. Let me quote it for you so you don't have to strain anything:

[quote]Why don't we just post some questions here in this form, then I will just email them to him (In one large email, we do not want to harass him).<hr></blockquote>
  • Reply 8 of 8
    nevynnevyn Posts: 360member
    ...but what the other respondants have been implying is... Sandon's _already_ gotten letters like this, and he's been saying "I can't comment, you'll have to wait." At least, to the first couple letters.

By now, he might be using the circular filing system for letters like this.