iPod Vs GigaBeat

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    Toshiba makes the iPod's HD's, don't they? Ehhh? I used to say it's what's on the inside that counts, but that is one ugly duckling.
  • Reply 2 of 8

Competition is a good thing. I keep hoping someone comes out with a good rival to the iPod, just to keep Apple innovating. Sadly, this one doesn't really flip my switch.

Then again, I hate the way the newest iPod looks in print--and was surprised how much I liked the form factor when I saw it in person. So maybe these look better in person as well.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    How to kill a product before it even ships:

"The device will play MP3s, but Toshiba is touting its support for Microsoft's Windows Media Player 9 format, which presumably means its DRM'd to the hilt."

from

http://theregister.co.uk/content/54/32469.html
  • Reply 4 of 8
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    iPod=digital hub.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    yevgenyyevgeny Posts: 1,148member
    Half of the iPod's greatness is its UI. The Toshiba doesn't seem to have the same ease of use. That plus Windows media 9 DRM guarantees that it won't sell well.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    gsxrboygsxrboy Posts: 565member
    New ipod owner here gigabeat sux, ipod rOxOr5 !
  • Reply 7 of 8
    spazspaz Posts: 58member
    um... sorry for the dumb question, but... what's "DRM'd to the hilt"?
  • Reply 8 of 8
    DRM stands for Digital Rights Management. It's like copy protected CDs, or like the AAC files you buy from the iTunes music store.

I don't know what kind of DRM Windows Media 9 files employ, but the device itself won't be DRM'd to the hilt, just the WM9 files.