Will Apple keep the old Pbooks around?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
After the revised pbooks come out, will you still be able to purchase the existing pbooks like you can with the G4 powermacs? Just a thought because if the new revision isn't that big of a deal and they come out with a huge price increase... I might just want the old one!

ME

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    The only reason to do that would be to keep an OS 9-booting system in the lineup. So on the 12 and 17, no. I'd say there's a VERY slim chance they'd keep the Ti around for a while (mostly because, with Apple, you can never say never), but since everything seems to indicate that the channel is almost clear of them, it doesn't look likely.

If you move fast and can find a discontinued model at a reseller, though, you'll get a nice price cut. I've said elsewhere that if the specs on the new models aren't compelling, a ~$2,200 1GHz Ti would look pretty attractive.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    yevgenyyevgeny Posts: 1,148member
    No, you won't be able to get the older model. Apple has really been doing a good job at running down supplies, and won't keep the older models in production. As BruinoBruin pointed out, the availability of G4's is essentially because people need an OS9 bootable machine.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    buckeyebuckeye Posts: 358member
    I disagree. I think there is a strong possiblity that Apple will keep the 15inch Ti around as the Os 9 booting laptop. That is what they did for the G4 Powermacs, and it was a good move. Many audio Pros bought up the OS9 booting G4s because they have lots of software to run on them and they don't have to have the speed of the G5.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    I think it would be smart to atleast keep the 1GHz Ti around. And when the new revisions come out, they could drop the 867 speed version and also DROP the 1GHz price to somewhere around where the 867 is now. I'd by a Ti in a heartbeat if they did that... especially if the new revision is only a speed boost to say 1.25. Backlit keyboard is awful cool though!

ME