7100 and 9GB Hard drive don't mix

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I have a old 7100 from a rummage sale, great deal to $10 for a apple laser printer, monitor and comp.

It has

66Mhz 601 Processor

88MB Ram

1.2GB HD

Mac OS 8

I purchased a new Seagate 9GB SCSI HD. So, i pluged it in and formatted it with disk utility, I formatted it to HFS+. I turned it on. It doesn't see the drive though.. So, I reformatted it to HFS cause 8 can't see HFS+ unless it's 8.1 which it's not. After that It still couldn't see it. Can the PowerMac 7100 only have one HD?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    9GB might be a "too big" thing for OS 8, did you partition? I think it has to be under 4GB for each partition going back then.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    I"ll try that. bb soon
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Nope still doesn't work.....
  • Reply 4 of 6
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    No, I think there was a 2 or 4 GB limit in System 6, but OS 8 should certainly be able to handle 9 GB. In fact I think it can have something like 2 TB, larger than any drive controller on that computer could handle anyway.

It's probably a jumper issue. Jumpers on SCSI hard drives are incredibly finicky and you'll have a hard time getting them to work right. It's usually the best option to use only one hard drive unless you know what you're doing.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    That 2TB sounds familiar, I think I am confusing the 8GB limit of pre-333 iMacs. As this is a SCSI drive, is there anything on it about SCSI-2?
  • Reply 6 of 6
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    The 8 GB limit only has to do with old iMacs, old PowerMac G3s, and old PowerBook G3s. Those computers require OS X to be installed on the first partition, which must be 8 GB or less. If you have an 8 GB drive it doesn't matter, but if you have one larger than 8 GB it must be partitioned. But that doesn't really have any effect on a 7100 which will never run OS X.

I'd say try running it with just one hard drive. Remove the 1.2 GB and see which jumpers are where, and put them in the same places on the 9 GB. Mess around with jumpers. You can also try going on the Seagate website and looking for jumper settings somewhere in their support section. I'm thinking that's the case... SCSI is horrible with that sort of thing.