could IBM not sell aftermarket G5s ?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
before I head off to bed, I had a thought.

If someone wanted to buy something from a company, how can that company refuse to sell to them. If a company like powerlogix asks IBM to sell them 970s wouldnt it be some kind of discrimination for IBM not to sell to them.

I understand that quantities bought would set prices and because of limited supply right now that there are no extra 970s floating around to be sold.

I just cant imagine a company being allowed to refuse to sell something to another company, if Dell orders an iMac, Apple cant refuse to sell it to them can they ?

What Im basically thinking about is the expandability of the Powermac. I personally think Apple makes the very best in notebooks and I wouldnt consider any other choice, but Im considering purchasing a desktop and I dont mind paying a little extra for the Apple, in fact I would prefer to pay a little extra for Apple. So if the Powermac will have processor upgrades then its a great buy at any time, even a single proc 1.6 will eventually have a 2.4 or 3 ready to fit in that slot and with a scalable bus to match.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    liquidrliquidr Posts: 884member
    Apple may have an exclusivity clause in their agreement with IBM for a set time period. But also the other companies may not even look towards IBM being that their product line is not geared toward the Power PC. It require a huge reworking of their product line and a reworking by developers. IMO
  • Reply 2 of 2
    a company can do buisiness w/ whomever it chooses. just because you have money dosent mean i have to sell my stuff to you, even if im offering. a sale is a mutual agreement. both parties agree to exchange x for y.