Two Towers DVD Tip

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Just a peek of the future from your friendly neighbourhood AI man:

Please, DO NOT Complain after you purchase August's The Two Towers "Special Edition" DVD

that you were unaware a 4-disc "Extended Edition" DVD box set will hit stores in December

and how do we know this?

palantir? no.

precedent, my precious.

edit add: meh... should have put this in GD.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    [Edit: never mind. They've changed the date to November 8. Sucks]
  • Reply 2 of 9
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:

Originally posted by curiousuburb

precedent, my precious.

It's not just precedent. They were announced at the same time, as they were last year for FotR. That didn't stop people from complaining last year, and I'm sure it won't stop people this year either.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    x xx x Posts: 189member
    Quote:

Originally posted by curiousuburb

Just a peek of the future from your friendly neighbourhood AI man:

Please, DO NOT Complain after you purchase August's The Two Towers "Special Edition" DVD

that you were unaware a 4-disc "Extended Edition" DVD box set will hit stores in December

and how do we know this?

palantir? no.

precedent, my precious.

edit add: meh... should have put this in GD.

I was fully aware that there would be a special addition set. However, I've always only been interested in the movie, itself, as played in the theatre, so the special set doesn't much matter to me.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    I think the real question should be, why dont they release them both at the same time?

Surely they're not trying to deceive people into buying it twice?

Exactly. Period.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    jobjob Posts: 420member
    I dread to think how many disks the inevitable 'collectors set' will contain, once all three films have been released. Anyone care to guess? 9? 10?
  • Reply 6 of 9
    so i thought after the Pillars of Argonath bookends for FoTR's deluxe gift set,

it'd be a no-brainer to predict that in the "Collectors Edition" box of tTT would be ...

duh, the Two Towers. Isengard and Barad-Dur.

but Nooooo... it's our slimy pseudo-schizophrenic sidekick Smeagol/Gollum

so for Return of the King, I'm left wondering

The White Tree and Mount Doom?

Surely not the precious

predictions may commence

and no, i didn't buy the "Gift" set statue versions, but still curious.

"complete" Peter Jackson set will include all the extended stuff, minimum 12 DVDs.

plus National Geographic "making of" documentaries.

Tolkein diehards may add Ralph Bakshi's animated version of The Hobbit. (surely DVD by then)
  • Reply 7 of 9
    though i admit i am tempted by the bottom of this page

Quote:

Gollum stands 36.5 inches tall,and Smeagol stands 40 inches tall. Both have hidden motion-activated voice boxes. Gollum's says"My Precious!", "You stole it, My Precious, and we wants it!", and "You filthy little thieves!" and Smeagol's sings, "Rock and pool, is nice and cool, so juicy sweet!"

• Reply 8 of 9
    gspottergspotter Posts: 342member
    Quote:

Originally posted by tonton

What ticks me off, though is that on the FOTR extended edition you have to switch discs in the middle of the movie. Doesn't the whole extended film fit on a double layer DVD?

IIRC, the movie was remastered with a different compression rate in order to use the available disk space. I doubt that the elongated version would fit on one disk together with the different soundtrack versions, comments etc.

Personally, I didn't mind switching the disk after about 2 hours. There even was a break when the movie was played in the theaters here. Your bladder will thank you