Worms, virus, and spam. ENOUGH!

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
OK, I'm wondering who else is affected by these programs going around. I use a Mac, so I don't worry about catching one, but I am getting 75+ E-Mails an hour! I have to clear out my e-mail server twice a day so it doesn't fill up and I don't miss the few, did I say FEW e-mails that I need. I tried to set up e-mail filters and that helps a little, but my POP3 server fills up so quickly.

How are you guys dealing with this? Is it a problem for you?

Or did you break out the rock tablet and chisel already?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    randycat99randycat99 Posts: 1,919member
    I haven't observed any unusual surge of emails lately. Maybe 2 a day are that damn email with the "Microsoft patch" attachment, and 2 or 3 a day are spam emails? Could it be the choice of ISP that affects how much you end up getting? I was to understand that the Earthlink service imposes a level of spamblocking on its own that is "invisible" to the user.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    I have gotten about 35 of the soBig.F emails in the last 3 days. I delete them as I go. However my Yahoo! email that is mostly just junk now, I use it for signing up for stuff that I am afraid will draw spam, had absolutely none. Odd.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    No Sobig emails at all yet. What's all the fuss about?

Probably just lucky.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    randycat99randycat99 Posts: 1,919member
    How do you identify a "SoBig email", anyway? Is there a specific attachment that shows up, or is it something that gets flagged by some antivirus program as "teh SoBig virus"?
  • Reply 5 of 10
    could someone forward me the sobig virus email please? I'd liek to peep this historical virus.

rupert at stimuli.ca with a subject of 'virus: beware!' or similar.

Please?
  • Reply 6 of 10
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Just erased another 95 e-mails.

Randycat99: I own my own domain, SSBA dotcom. I get all @ SSBA e-mail. All infected e-mails have an attachment ending in [something].pif with a subject of "Thank you", "Re: Thank you", "Details", "Wicked Screensaver", "Approved", "That Movie"...

Stoo: ^%#$* you. -->

1337_5L4Xx0R: Enjoy!
  • Reply 7 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ebby

OK, I'm wondering who else is affected by these programs going around.

How are you guys dealing with this? Is it a problem for you?

Or did you break out the rock tablet and chisel already?

I'm dealing with it at time-and-a-half. Although I use a Mac, and support Macs at my workplace, the PC folks are going into overdrive, and since I know about "computers", I have been enlisted to help apply patches and service packs and whatever else Windoze needs.

I really hope the mainstream doesn't catch on to the ease of use of Macs and the incredible amount of money that must be poured into M$ software just to keep it minimally functional. I still have a house to pay off and need the money!

Bill Gates didn't become the world's richest man by saving people money!

And I'm slowly beginning to find out the gold mine that is Windoze support!
  • Reply 8 of 10
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    All the junk mail I get is newsletters and the like that I never remember to unsubscribe from.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    maybe it's all part of a popularity contest to own the top 3 most requested sites

woo hoo! podium finish silver lining to the latest MS security flaws/virii.