Pushing Airport Bandwidth

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
My girlfriend is next door in our dorm with her Airport equipped iBook. In my room I have a Linksys 802.llb wireless access point/hub/router connected to my G4. She gets full 4 bar signal from anywhere in her room.

My problem is that I would like her to be able to play my Divx movies off of my HD, but Video Lan Client doesn't seem to be getting data fast enough. It works fine over a hard wired 10-base-T LAN with a max of 10 Mbps, but for some reason I can't get enough bandwidth on Airport with a max of 11 Mbps. Hers and mine are the only computers connected to the Router, I've set the limit to 2. What else can I do to ensure that she gets the full bandwidth, which she obviously isn't?

I've also tried MP4's playing in Quictime 6 and I get the same result. The video plays fine for about three seconds and then stops and catches up. My realplayer South Park collection plays fine.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    Okay, time to come clean, actually getting 11Mb/sec is a crack induced fantasy. You'll get about 4.5 actual Mb/s if you are using top equipment, on a good day, with great signal strength. Anything higher than 6 is never going to happen. As a result, if you are actually getting, say, 4Mb/sec (not megabyte, megabits of course) airport software considers that to be quite good, and lists four bars in your menubar.

Sorry, hombre, between noise, network overhead, etc, you'll never get above 6, even putting the laptop right next to your base station. You'll have to share pr0n some other way, or just d/l it and then play it.