New displays waiting for panther?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I don't know what the rest of you guys think but...



Could the new G5 displays be waiting for 10.3(panther)? After all why would they release new displays for the G5 without software to power them?







Maybe there will be some really coot new features in the new displays.



I heard that firewire is basicaly a faster verson of USB, so what are the chances of a firewire display?



Besides being faster whats the diffrences between USB and firewire?



Btw my first post here. No flames plz ^^

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 14
    in all this time and no replies?
  • Reply 2 of 14
    It's possible that there may be some new displays coming with Panther (I said "possible", I didn't say "likely"), but I doubt the software they need would be panther-exclusive.

    And I find the current displays really are breathtaking, and they do the job just great as-is, so I don't really see what they would add or change, besides aluminum mesh...



    I doubt we'll see Firewire in the new displays, even if they were intended for the G5s there's already a Firewire port on the front of the case. Although, I remember reading somewhere that the Apple Display Connector "provides a USB channel and an optional IEEE-1394 (aka FireWire) channel", so if Apple wanted the display to act as a USB/Firewire hub, it seems they could very easily do it, without working too much on a re-design.



    As for the USB/Firewire differences, USB tops out at around 11mbps, Firewire at 400mbps. USB is used for computer accessories as a replacement for legacy serial and parallel ports, Firewire is used for connecting devices which require transferring massive amounts of data (media files, usually). USB is also a client/server architecture and uses CPU cycles, whereas Firewire is peer-to-peer and, uh, doesn't use 'em (or at least uses very few).
  • Reply 3 of 14
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Displays will not be software specific.



    And USB 2.0 is 480MBps but FireWire 800 is...you guess it 800MBps
  • Reply 4 of 14
    Quote:

    Originally posted by ast3r3x

    Displays will not be software specific.



    And USB 2.0 is 480MBps but FireWire 800 is...you guess it 800MBps














    Then why does it say on apples web site that you need OS X 10.1(maybe it was 10.1.5) or higher for there current displays?



    also apple has ALLWAYS made everything to match.



    I myself really do LOVE the current displays... but they do NOT match the G5... and thats what I am getting.



    but if the only diffrence in the new displays and the current displays is looks.... then I will buy the "old" ones.



    the 30" model is almost confermed.... but apple is waiting.... the company is ready to go but needs the "go ahead" from apple. so why wouldn't apple design this new 30" to match the G5?
  • Reply 5 of 14
    henriokhenriok Posts: 537member
    It seems that the ADC-connector can be configured to house FireWire also, but I really don't see that comming in new displays since the current layout of the G5 mobo only shows USB being drawn to the AGP slot. But.. it _is_ USB 2 that is connected to the slot so with minor changes to the displays they can be modified to sport a USB 2 hub.



    The only other change I see coming to the display lineup is a new case to match the G5 case better. I don't think we'll se any changes in resolution or size. The graphic adapters in the G5 can only support digital resolutions up to 1920x1200, and that's exactly what the current Cinema Display 23" is capable of.



    And.. I would like Apple to consider a line of displays witch doesn't use ADC but regular DVI so they can spread the Apple gospel to the PC-world, and make it easier for Mac-users to attach two Apple displays to their Macs. But, i don't see Apple doing this anytime soon, so Iäm not sitting around waiting for that.. Instead I turn to other manufacturers to provide my future G5 with two TFT-displays.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    reidreid Posts: 190member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Wireless

    also apple has ALLWAYS made everything to match.



    The current displays don't really match the last couple of PowerMac G4 revisions, either. Although both cases sported some clear and silvery plastics, neither the Quicksilver nor the Mirrored Drive Door cases had pinstriped plastic. They certainly matched better, but they didn't match perfectly. I still think they're pretty.



    As for why a new display might require new OS software... anybody for touch-sensitive AirPort Extreme Cinema Displays?



    Nothing is ever "always" or "never."
  • Reply 7 of 14
    Quote:

    Nothing is ever "always" or "never."



    Well, that's not always true
  • Reply 8 of 14
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    So the displays that were out long before OS 10.2 require 10.2 huh? Makes sense to me.
  • Reply 9 of 14
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    Back to the topic...



    Apple could just as easily roll display support into a general release of 10.2.7 rather than wait for Panther. 90% probability nothing is required (same display, different case), 9.9% probability simply a resolution/refresh preset, 0.1% a different connection technology.



    The only thing that would require anything major is the 0.1%, and Apple would have to be incredibly stupid to pull that. Then again, we do have ADC...



    Barto



    PS LOL @ you sig, ast3r3x
  • Reply 10 of 14
    Quote:

    Originally posted by ast3r3x

    So the displays that were out long before OS 10.2 require 10.2 huh? Makes sense to me.



    no........





    on apples website it says system requirements are OS X 10.1.3 or higher.





    System requirements

    The Apple Studio Display requires Mac OS X v10.1.3 or Mac OS 9.2.2 or later, and one of the following systems:

    ?\tPower Mac G4 with Apple Display Connector

    ?\tPowerBook G4 with a DVI port and an Apple DVI to ADC Adapter

    A second display can be used with a Power Mac G4 via the DVI port on the NVIDIA GeForce4 MX, GeForce4 Titanium, ATI Radeon 7500, Radeon 9000 Pro graphics card and the Apple DVI to ADC Adapter.









    I think that it would be perfect for apple to just replace there pinstripes with shiny alumium under its clear plastic. You know like the ones on apples site.



    where all the pin-stripes blend together. like here:



    http://www.apple.com/pr/photos/displays/03displays.html



    those would be great!
  • Reply 11 of 14
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Reid

    The current displays don't really match the last couple of PowerMac G4 revisions, either. Although both cases sported some clear and silvery plastics, neither the Quicksilver nor the Mirrored Drive Door cases had pinstriped plastic. They certainly matched better, but they didn't match perfectly. I still think they're pretty.



    They never really matched the old Sawtooth models or the Cube either, the plastics are much whiter. \
  • Reply 12 of 14
    Did I miss it, or has no one mentioned it yet?



    iSight built-in to new monitors. That would use FW, and might be helped by some native SW support. I know that iSight already has some support, just mean it might, then, be supported somehow in the Displays panel.



    Just speculating.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,136member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Transcendental Octothorpe

    Did I miss it, or has no one mentioned it yet?



    iSight built-in to new monitors. That would use FW, and might be helped by some native SW support. I know that iSight already has some support, just mean it might, then, be supported somehow in the Displays panel.



    Just speculating.




    Only if Apple doesn't raise the price of the displays any...



    Or just make the actual iSight device an option, but the FireWire connection is already there, behind a small panel... making for a cleaner installation...



    But for what I am assuming will be a high-ticket item; the aforementioned, yet still mythical, 30" Apple Cinema Display should have the iSight built-in (non-removable, except by 'technician' if it needs any servicing) to the bezel of the unit... Just an iris on the top front of the display, silently opening when needed...!



    ;^p
  • Reply 14 of 14
    Quote:

    Originally posted by MacRonin

    Only if Apple doesn't raise the price of the displays any...



    Or just make the actual iSight device an option, but the FireWire connection is already there, behind a small panel... making for a cleaner installation...



    But for what I am assuming will be a high-ticket item; the aforementioned, yet still mythical, 30" Apple Cinema Display should have the iSight built-in (non-removable, except by 'technician' if it needs any servicing) to the bezel of the unit... Just an iris on the top front of the display, silently opening when needed...!



    ;^p








    Heck ya that would rock! 30" with iSight built in!!!!!!





    And altho im sure they COULD slip the displays in to OS X 10.2.7 Why would they do that when panther is coming out so soon(figureatively speaking)?
Sign In or Register to comment.