Changing a Password

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I have a friend who has forgotten her OS X password. She has her computer set to automatically login so she can still use it, but she is unable to install any software updates and things like that. I was going to have her change it by logging in as root, then I remembered that you need to authenticate in NetInfo Manager in order to enable the root user. I assume that (beside having root access) there is no way to change your password without knowing your password. If there is I'd be interested to know it, if not, what's the best solution to the situation.

Oooh... I just had an idea. Suggestions are still welcome, but I think I can fix the problem. (Create a new admin account. Login as that user, enable root user from that account, then login as root ,change password, etc.)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by SledgeHammer

I have a friend who has forgotten her OS X password. She has her computer set to automatically login so she can still use it, but she is unable to install any software updates and things like that. I was going to have her change it by logging in as root, then I remembered that you need to authenticate in NetInfo Manager in order to enable the root user. I assume that (beside having root access) there is no way to change your password without knowing your password. If there is I'd be interested to know it, if not, what's the best solution to the situation.

Oooh... I just had an idea. Suggestions are still welcome, but I think I can fix the problem. (Create a new admin account. Login as that user, enable root user from that account, then login as root ,change password, etc.)

Here's what you do: Get hold of an OS X install CD. Boot from the install CD by pressing and holding the C key at startup. Then click on the Installer menu, and there is a 'reset password' utility. Set the password, restart the computer, and eject the disk. That will be your password.

By the way, one might want to hide their install discs, because if someone has access to them, your computer might as well not have a password at all.

I hope this helped.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Something to know... If you use the install disc to reset the account password it will not update the keychain password. All stored passwords will be locked away. This really pisses off the OS too, and the only solution is to delete the keychain file and start over.

I had this happen once after I changed my password before leaving on vacation and couldn't remember the new password when I got back. The smart move is to create a backup admin user on the machine, so if a problem occurs you can log in with it and change the other account's password.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Geez, I wish I'd remembered that. I knew about that, but had forgotten. Oh well, we did it my way and it worked, so whatever. Same problem with the keychain password though. But, again, oh well.