30 day wait for PB. New or old?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I just checked the apple canada web site to order a powerbook, and it had a 30 business day wait for it. The american one doesn't have this wait though.

Why would the wait be so long, other than a revamp, or shipping problems.

Now I'm screwed, because I can't get either for a month.

Here's hoping its a G5. Then it will be worth the wait.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    Very strange.

For info, most of the European Apple Stores are now

showing same day shipping for the 15" with Combo drive.

Yesterday, they listed 3-5 business days for the same model.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    I ordered a new 12" from my campus bookstore yesterday and was told 7-10 days. It matched what i had seen on the apple store recently, but this morning I see (as well) that the wait is stated at 30 days. Guess no laptop for the start of the semester.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    30 business days! That means not until the first week in October. Yikes.

I did order my 12" PowerBook finally on Friday, and it's still showing a delivery date of Sept 4... guess that means no chance of getting rev B.

Still, I don't know if I want to wait 6 bloody weeks to get the new model. The current pricing is soooo nice.

\
  • Reply 4 of 8
    maskermasker Posts: 451member
    The channel is dry.

Nothing new to replace it either.

Expect a final batch of TiBooks to be made to fill this ugly hole.

Think of it as the Motorola Abyss.

That is all.

MSKR
  • Reply 5 of 8
    yevgenyyevgeny Posts: 1,148member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Masker

The channel is dry.

Nothing new to replace it either.

Expect a final batch of TiBooks to be made to fill this ugly hole.

Think of it as the Motorola Abyss.

That is all.

I agree. This is Apple running the channel totally dry in anticipation of something new. I want to believe that it will be a G5 powerbook, but I know better. On the plus side, it means that there probably won't be much of a wait for the new PB's.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Shipping times at the US Apple Store are 3-5 business days. This is probably just an error with the Canadian store. Happens from time to time.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    maskermasker Posts: 451member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Yevgeny

I agree. This is Apple running the channel totally dry in anticipation of something new. I want to believe that it will be a G5 powerbook, but I know better. On the plus side, it means that there probably won't be much of a wait for the new PB's.

I think this is a case of erring on the side of no inventory.

i don't think Apple meant for the channel to be this empty of TiBooks. I now think that Motorola is not delivering the 7457's as hoped and Apple is scrambling to fill the channel with another batch. of TiBooks that it didn;t want to make. My fear now is that we will see a nApple Expo announcement with a "shipping next month" disclaimer.

So I think there will be a bit of a wait.

Sigh....

MSKR
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Here's my frustration, and a question:

I work in a mostly pee cee shop, only about 20 percent of us are on Macs. Last week management simply lost all confidence in their pee cees while they worked nearly round the clock on updating ms windows to ward off the worm attack, only to be slammed with (yet another) e-mail based virus this week. The fact that the Mac users working quietly away without incident despite all this was not lost on them, the result being a Macintosh-friendly management environment I have not seen for a very long time.

First issue was last week - we need a new desktop system, and the green light was given to go with a G5. Trouble is... Announced but not shipping.

Next issue is this week - we need new laptops and I recommended that we hold off another week hoping for updated 15 inchers (we have Airport Extreme base stations already in place, even the pee cees use them, and I wanted extreme cards built in). No announcement today, and the wind blowing through indicates that possibly G5 PowerBooks might be announced next month in paris. Question: If G5 PowerBooks are announced in paris, when will they actually ship? The window we have to buy new 'Books is open NOW. Looks like I'm going to have to go with the old (current) 15 inchers, but now I'm finding out that shipping date is two weeks out. Sigh.

Is it just me or does it seem to any of the rest of you that this latest round of windows worm/virus attacks just put the Macintosh platform on a higher footing regarding corporate purchases?

Wishing Apple was shipping the happy stuff now,

Joe