existing 15"pbook performance

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I think I'm done waiting to get my first mac. I should have never read all the rumors about the new AIbooks coming out, 'cause they probably won't for months. I have one simple questions before I order my new powerbook. Is the 1ghz version worth the $500 difference from the 867mhz?

That's all... simple. I need advice... anyone?

ME

EDIT: Or will it be worth it to wait... and wait...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    if you're going to buy a PowerBook now, make sure to buy from a source that will take in back within 30 days. the Apple store WILL NOT, IIRC.

new PowerBooks are right around the corner, you'd kick yourself if you bought one now only to have the new ones come out in a week or less.

the new stuff IS coming, and soon.
  • Reply 2 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by alcimedes

if you're going to buy a PowerBook now, make sure to buy from a source that will take in back within 30 days. the Apple store WILL NOT, IIRC.

new PowerBooks are right around the corner, you'd kick yourself if you bought one now only to have the new ones come out in a week or less.

I know I know... and I'm the type that always wants the latest... On the other hand, do you have any idea what the price differences would be though? Say... will there a $2000 version? Why would apples store still be able to ship an existing Pbook in 3 to 5 business days when the new one's are coming out? Shouldn't they be getting out of stock? Will the new updates be worth the wait? I just don't know!!
  • Reply 3 of 16
    Hold out until Apple Expo Paris. If nothing...wait longer. Yeah, I agree on that 30-day thing though. Go ahead and get a 1 Ghz Ti if you NEED to buy now, from my experience the extra 32MB video RAM and 133 Mhz and Superdrive and double initial memory make it worth the $500.
  • Reply 4 of 16
    I have the 1ghz and from what I hear the 867 is pretty much up on equal terms with it if you want to save some money. Even if the September Paris rumours are true for a new 15" you are only likely to see a minor speed bump to 1.25 ghz or there abouts - with shipping a couple of months later. i would get one now.
  • Reply 5 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by musicaltone

I have the 1ghz and from what I hear the 867 is pretty much up on equal terms with it if you want to save some money. Even if the September Paris rumours are true for a new 15" you are only likely to see a minor speed bump to 1.25 ghz or there abouts - with shipping a couple of months later. i would get one now.

Yeah, the processor difference doesn't bother me and the RAM and superdrive difference doesn't either. The only thing that is holding me back is the video RAM. I would imagine the 64 mb card would show considerable performance improvement... but maybe not. I guess it wouldn't matter much if I'm not doing high end graphic stuff. I would like to do some photoshop and basic home video though. Any ideas?

ME
  • Reply 6 of 16
    c-bearc-bear Posts: 111member
    Quote:

And your proof is?
  • Reply 7 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by C-Bear

And your proof is?

My question too... how do you know it IS coming soon? Or is it just a gut feeling?
  • Reply 8 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by pc-to-mac

I would imagine the 64 mb card would show considerable performance improvement... but maybe not. I guess it wouldn't matter much if I'm not doing high end graphic stuff. I would like to do some photoshop and basic home video though. Any ideas?

ME

I was told when buying mine that the extra video RAM would only be noticable in some games - but not an issue for other uses.
  • Reply 9 of 16
    Well, I ordered it. 15" G4 1ghz. It'll be here next week! I can't wait! Woohoo! I'm a switcher!

I've always wanted to say that... hehe

ME
  • Reply 10 of 16
    agent302agent302 Posts: 974member
    Congratulations! Personally, I like the Titanium design better than the new aluminum cases (or is that just me trying to convince myself that my Tibook is not obsolete?)

Be sure to ask questions, we're all (generally) very helpful.
  • Reply 11 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by agent302

Congratulations! Personally, I like the Titanium design better than the new aluminum cases (or is that just me trying to convince myself that my Tibook is not obsolete?)

Thank you. I know I'll have a lot of questions. I'm an MCSE and work as a systems engineer for a network consulting company. I want to make this my "everything" laptop... from doing my network admining on windows networks to designing websites for some of my clients. I know it can be done, but I know I'll need some help getting there. I hope that "switching" is as easy as everyone has said it is. Thanks again!

ME
  • Reply 12 of 16
    nemesisnemesis Posts: 138member
    Quote:

What makes you so sure?
  • Reply 13 of 16
    nemesisnemesis Posts: 138member
    Quote:

Originally posted by agent302

Same story here. Just ordered my TiBook. I love the titanium look.
  • Reply 14 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by NEMESIS

Same story here. Just ordered my TiBook. I love the titanium look.

Yup the titanium look is by far the best! And congratulations pc-to-mac on your new purchase, I wish you a prompt delivery! =]
  • Reply 15 of 16
    Congrats pc-to-mac. You will not be dissapointed!
  • Reply 16 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by musicaltone

Congrats pc-to-mac. You will not be dissapointed!

Thanks! Like I said though, I know I'll have questions, so for those who are already really good on mac's... prepare!

ME