Zero Kb required, Zero Kb available

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I am having three possibly related problems with my PowerBook 5300 CE and would welcome any advice. It is currently running Mac OS8.5 (which was as far as I could get along the process of re-installing 8.6). I have zapped the PRAM and rebuilt the Desktop.

Problem 1. An error message occurs when I try to open certain programs/files such as QuickTime player or SoundEdit or try ?Get info? for those programs/files. The message reads ?insufficient memory, Zero kb required, Zero Kb available?, I have 32mb installed which shows up in the About this computer window. Other programs and the system software appear to be working normally such as Photoshop or my Macromedia Director projects.

I figured the best thing to do was to re-install everything (Do a clean install keeping the old system on the disk just in case) starting with OS 8.5 and then 8.6 update and then everything else. This is made more problematic as I do not have a CD drive on the PowerBook or the original OS 7.5 floppies. So I followed the advice in the Mac OS install manual for upgrading a computer without a CD drive, i.e. installing it over a local talk network whilst running minimum extensions (and no third party extensions).

Problem 2. This occurred whilst the installer was checking the hard disk. The hard disk would continually spin down, stop and then spin up again which meant the process took several hours to complete before installation could begin. I ran Disk First Aid and it reported no problems.

Problem 3. Once the disk had been checked the installation began and then stopped a few minutes later with an error message saying that there was insufficient memory to continue and that I should try closing windows etc. which I did to no avail.

It would be a shame to just through it in the bin, however it is not worth spending huge amount on it.

Thanks in advance,

S

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    Your first problem is that you're using a 5300.

Your second is that you not only are not using OS X, you haven't graduated to OS 9.x yet.

Is this a Mac you just keep around for novelty's sake, or is it your ...uh... workhorse? If the latter, what precisely do you use it for?