I Love this apple stuff!

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I'm having one of those days, you know when you are a tech wizard and everything works like apple tells us it does. I'm upstairs on the balcony chatting, literally talking, to my friend in amsterdam using iChat on my 12" PB wirelessly using airport, finish laying out an invoice using the trackpad and saved it, wirelessly, to The emac thats in the basement. Then send the file to print on the printer in the basement, Still talking To Amsterdam from Calgary. the doorbell rings so I carry my computer down stairs, two flights, to the door saying good bye to amsterdam as i get to the door, its my Client. He comes in to the office where the Invoice has printed and the emac has received a faxed confirmation the the printer got this clients files and they are ready to go. I get a check i write paid on the printed invoice, set the laptop on iCurve plug in the bigger monitor and the keyboard (come on bluetooth!) show Client some layouts. he leaves happy, i look like a wizard and its all cause I use apple.

Thanks!

flick.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    I don't know how I'd live with a PC, personally. There's something about Apple, as a company and as an experience, that makes computing fun. And the anticipation of yet another Stevenote helps feed my love for Apple.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

I don't know how I'd live with a PC, personally. There's something about Apple, as a company and as an experience, that makes computing fun. And the anticipation of yet another Stevenote helps feed my love for Apple.

I know. I mean I'm not a naturally geeky guy, I race mountain bikes I'm in the 12th year snowboarding, and although I'm listening to talking heads right now I love Punk Hiphop and electronic music. But When it comes to apple, sign me up for the wedgie tour cause I can't stop preaching about how much this computer has made my life far easier and way more creative. One of the things on my favorite things to do to other people is signing folks up for apple. Pure joy.

flick.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Cool post. I've been saying this and feeling this way for a long time too, particularly the past couple of years (OS X is just the cat's meow).

I have PC-using friends and family members and they'll be struggling with something and ask for my help. They always go "you know computers..." or "you're computer literate..." or whatever and I always go "I don't have to be, I use a Mac."

And the proceed to not help them (because I can't) and good-naturedly berate them for not owning a Mac.

"Mom, if you had a Mac, you'd have iTunes. And you'd already have that Vince Gill CD encoded and halfway through burning a self-made "best of" CD. As it is, I have NO idea what's going on with that unholy mess on your screen! Sorry, I don't do Windows."

To me "computer literate" or "knowing computers" implies that I have to roll up my sleeves and completely engulf myself in obscure, pain-in-the-balls knowledge or skill. I have to somehow "fight the computer" to get it to "behave".

Forget that. I use my computer...it doesn't use me. I do WHAT I want, WHEN I want, WHERE I want, HOW I want and HOW MANY TIMES I want. There's real, honest-to-goodness value and worth in that...the kind you can't measure in GHz and graphics cards and so forth. The ONLY time my Mac isn't on and running like a dream is when I'm prompted to do a restart after installing a particular piece of software or a sytem update. That's it. No chasing glitches, no screwing around with e-mail virus stuff. No wondering "how come this scanner isn't working and it was yesterday?".

See the difference? Some people do. Some never will. And that's cool, I guess. To each their own.

That's why I never get too torqued up over specs and numbers. I'd prefer to step back and view the whole "big picture". I never understand the resident spec freaks that look to the "other side" and get jealous of GHz this and GB that and so forth. Who cares? Those poor souls still have to use Windows! And I don't give a rat's butt HOW you dress it up and make it pretty and poochy and borrow more GUI ideas from Apple...it's not a Mac. It never will be.

'nuff said.

4% marketshare, 100% cool. My new mantra.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

Cool post. I've been saying this and feeling this way for a long time too, particularly the past couple of years (OS X is just the cat's meow).

I have PC-using friends and family members and they'll be struggling with something and ask for my help. They always go "you know computers..." or "you're computer literate..."

Totally, and when these people make fun of me for going on how cool jaguar is. I think to myself its sad that they don't feel inspired to do the same about windows.

Oh well they are always quick to ask me to help them build a resume on my mac cause I make them look better..

4% market share %100 cool <--- amen.

flick.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    agent302agent302 Posts: 974member
    Quote:

4% marketshare, 100% cool. My new mantra.

Hear, hear!
  • Reply 6 of 11
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Various thoughts come to mind...

Douglas Adams describing that Sirius Cybernetics (read: Microsoft) hides the fundamental design flaws of their products by adding superficial design flaws. Once you've mastered the superficial design flaws, you've completely overlooked that there's something completely wrong about how it works. Take the latest run of viruses. People are so busy working on protecting their computers that once they're all satisfied, they don't realize that they shouldn't have had to go through any of that crap in the first place. They spend so long trying to figure out how to burn a CD that they don't realize that it should be a simple affair and that something is fundamentally wrong when it takes ten minutes to figure it out.

Also, back in the late 90s, I remember various "predictions" people made about the integration of computers, TVs, phones, stereos, and basically all other mid-sized home electronics. PCs really aren't there yet. But when you think about it, Macs really are. Outside of the lack of TV tuners, Macs are excellent at various multimedia and communications tasks. Yes, you can listen to your favorite music while talking (not "chatting") with people across the world and doing work and checking up on the news and sports, while sitting on your front porch. Not many PCs can do that, but all Mac laptops made for the past four years can. And it has a lot to do with the awesomeness of OS X.

The Macintosh may only have 10% of the market (well, 4% now...) but it is clearly the top 10%.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    dnisbetdnisbet Posts: 201member
    Thanks for the Douglas Adams quote, that reminds me I must replace my lost copy of Hitchhikers Guide .

After I recently got my PowerBook and got Airported with my old iMac i've had a few friends over to come and check it out. I always try and show them that there are perfectly viable alternatives to Windows out there and that Macs will do what they want in a much easier and cooler way.

One of my friends just took delivery of an eMac after seeing my setup, I have managed to quiet another's constant slagging off of Macintosh (his only previous experience was of a network of Mac Classics in post iMac era, they were at our old school which only upgraded it's computers after we left, so many people couldn't see past the tiny black and white screens of the Classics and thought that was how Macs where).

I love how we only just got rid of my IIci after my sister has been using it for the past few years before I gave her my iMac. The machine was older than she is (it's been donated to my old primary school now, perhaps it should have gone into a museum?).

So my mum wants to check her email, but i'm already on the internet with my 56k modem, no problem mum, i'll just turn on internet sharing and voila it's sorted. The way it should be.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    Nice post flick... Yeah Thanks Apple.

Good news for me is my new job, which will help fund my Apple purchases.

Bad news, I work on a PEE CEE

Good news, my boss, the IT Director, hates windows. We are currently converting all the win2k servers to linux ones. So, fingers crossed I can convince him of the joys of the "new" macs. (i don't think he has used one since X came out, or realises that there is a UNIX based monster under the bonnet.)

Fingers crossed.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    i dont mean to rain on the parade, but i've been thinking about it a lot recently, and i wonder just what apple/osx offer me. most of the time, i'm programming. and most of the 'graming i do is generic *nix stuff. and i dont hit the gui too often. about the only gui app i hit with regularity is iTunes, and I'm wondering more and more if there isn't something avail for *nix to handle that; i may even write something myself (maybe even something that will still allow me to stream files across the net, and not just the subnet). i use project builder, and i love it, but i'm sure there are tools i could use (or make myself) for *nix. i still love the hdwr (my pants are constantly dirty when i think about the dual g5s i'm getting). all the ease of use and simplicity is wonderful, but it doesn't affect me much, because i don't do those kinds of things.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gargoyle

(i don't think he has used one since X came out, or realises that there is a UNIX based monster under the bonnet.)

Fingers crossed.

I HATE this. 75% of the people I talk to haven't used OS X. They that the Mac is still beige, always crashing, and totally unintuitive.

Look again.

But at least more people know that Apple makes more than just iMacs. I remember..."Hey, is that your new iMac?" "No, it's my 2.5 TB Xserve RAID, stupid!"
  • Reply 11 of 11
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    My brother's windows XP based machine(mostly used for games)

has the strangest problems....I just don't understand windows and why microsoft makes it so unintuitive and difficult to use.

to quote pscates(great quote here)

Quote:

I use my computer...it doesn't use me. I do WHAT I want, WHEN I want, WHERE I want, HOW I want and HOW MANY TIMES I want.