I'd like to build a cheap PC

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I have time to spare right now, but am in a bit of a financial tight spot (yep, you get one guess as to what that means). Thinking I need to up my hardware computer skills, as well as my Unix/Windows server experience, I'd like to build a decent PC for as cheap as I can. What I'd like: AMD probably (I usually associate Intel with MS, and MS with the devil's own red hot bum), something "2000+" or higher. A proper video card @ 32 MB or more, 256 MB ram (with possibility to fill some slots later on). Something optical. A smallish HD will do (enough to install a couple of OSes on it), because I will put in a firewire card and hook up my 320 GB monster. Something like that. I really wonder where to begin.

A case, probably. ATX? And from there? Can someone take it step by step?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    stevesteve Posts: 523member
    http://tcwo.com/ is where I go for this sort of thing.

AthlonXP 2500+ Barton is the best value processor, IMO. This motherboard looks nice and cheap. This GeForce 4 MX should be sufficient. You'll need some 333MHz DDR RAM to get the added performance gain of staying in sync with the busses of your motherboard and processor.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    I'd go with a P4 and Intel chipset for the least headaches. It'll probably be more stable than any AMD / nForce combination. Installing an Intel CPU is a lot easier with the integral heat-spreader protecting the core. I'd say 2.4 GHz P4 with a "Springdale " based mainboard as a baseline.

Checklist:

CPU (retail box comes with heatsink and fan)

mainboard (comes with all necessary cables, IO panel, etc)

RAM

HDD

optical drive

sound card (most mainboards have integrated sound)

video card (some Intel boards have integrated Intel Extreme Graphics, but it sucks)

NIC (many boards have this built-in as well)

case

PSU (many cases come with them already)

floppy drive (unnecessary, but at ~$10 USD, you might as well)

monitor

keyboard

mouse

extra fans (optional)
  • Reply 3 of 12
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Steve

http://tcwo.com/ is where I go for this sort of thing.

AthlonXP 2500+ Barton is the best value processor, IMO. This motherboard looks nice and cheap. This GeForce 4 MX should be sufficient. You'll need some 333MHz DDR RAM to get the added performance gain of staying in sync with the busses of your motherboard and processor.

He is in Belgium, so I don't know what local options he might have. The European market tends to feature different brands altogether. For instance, Creative makes video cards and Philips makes mainboards there...

A very good inexpensive motherboard maker is Albatron too. I always buy retail CPUs instead of bare OEM ones.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    It's gonna be hard. I see that already. I've been searching for a couple of online stores to find and compare the stuff. I'm shooting for about 300 euro. I don't know how I'm ever gonna get that.

A case is gonna be about 50 euro, and I won't get a CPU for less than 100 euro (and that is already eliminating Intel from the picture). No much room for other stuff...
  • Reply 6 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by der Kopf

A case is gonna be about 50 euro, and I won't get a CPU for less than 100 euro...

And now I find this:

Quote:

Name: Multimedia pro 2000+

Price: 275? (incl. RECUPEL)

Description: AMD Duron XP2000+

256 MB DDR 266 MHZ

HD 30GB/ATA 133

Floppy Drive 1.44/52xCDROM

Graphics card 3D/64Mb

Sound 16 bit

Network 10/100Mbps

ECS K7SOM MB

So I'm gonna have to do better than that to make it worth my while. How good is that Duron XP2000+?
  • Reply 7 of 12
    Anyway, I'm guessing the more watts the power supply of the case boasts, the better, no? Anything else I should look out for? Are there different sizes (ATX and micro ATX or something, apparently)?
  • Reply 8 of 12
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

And now I find this:

So I'm gonna have to do better than that to make it worth my while. How good is that Duron XP2000+?

For 25 more bucks buy an Athlon : there is a huge difference of performance for a little difference of price. Screw up the Duron.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    Another question:

I believe that, as far as CPU is concerned, I have two reasonable options:

AMD Athlon XP 2400+ (266 MHz) BOX for 106.5 ?

AMD Athlon XP 2600+ (333 MHz) BOX for 124.0 ?

I reckon those MHz indication are frontside bus numbers. So my logical question: is that a big difference? Is it worth my while, or will going for 333 implicate more than just that small price difference (= more expensive RAM, motherboard, cooler)?
  • Reply 10 of 12
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Another question:

I believe that, as far as CPU is concerned, I have two reasonable options:

AMD Athlon XP 2400+ (266 MHz) BOX for 106.5 ?

AMD Athlon XP 2600+ (333 MHz) BOX for 124.0 ?

I reckon those MHz indication are frontside bus numbers. So my logical question: is that a big difference? Is it worth my while, or will going for 333 implicate more than just that small price difference (= more expensive RAM, motherboard, cooler)?

I have a athlon 2400 XP and it's a good chip (running at 2 ghz). The atlon XP 2600 is a little better, but perhaps it will be more wize to invest in a better video card for 18 $ (if 18 $ can bring you a better video card).
  • Reply 11 of 12
    What video card should I pursue?

Some of my options (I'll have you know that I usually start flipping channels when video cards are concerned):

Code:

ATI Radeon 7000 64Bit DDR 64 MB TV Out DVI..............................45,00?

ATI Radeon 7500 AGP DDR 128 MB TV Out DVI...............................65,00?

ATI Radeon 9200 - 128 MB DDR - AGP 8x - DVI - TV out...................74,00?

ATI Radeon 9200 - 128 MB DDR - AGP 8x - DVI - Video In / Video Out.....95,00?

GeForce 4 MX 440 64 MB + TV out Chaintech...............................55,00?

GeForce 4 MX 440 64 MB DDR TV-out Pixelview.............................59,00?

GeForce 4 MX 440 SE 128MB............................................. ..69,00?

GeForce 4 MX 440 SE 64 MB DDR AGP8x TV out MSI MS8890...................57,00?

GeForce 4 MX 440 SE 64 MB DDR TV out....................................49,00?

GeForce FX 5200 Asus V9520 Magic DDR 128 MB TV out......................89,00?

GeForce FX 5200-8X 128 MB DDR TV-out Pixelview..........................82,00?

Which is best (with the factor cheap carrying relatively large weight for me right now)? Also, that Video In card, might it eventually be possible to digitize VHS tapes using that?
  • Reply 12 of 12
    klinuxklinux Posts: 453member
    Can you get a US friend to send you one? With certain promotions, it is cheaper to buy pre-built. Case in point: Dell 400SC is USD$300 after rebate. It has all the goodies like gigabit ethernet, SATA, AGP8X, 800mhz FSB and things like that.

Check http://www.gotapex.com/deals.php or http://www.techbargains.com/