802.1x

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Does Mac OS X support 802.1x? My school is going to start using it around christmas, and if OS X doesn't support it I'm going to have to budget for a wireless card for my PC.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    stevesteve Posts: 523member
    I don't think they mean 802.1x, because that could be quite a few IEEE standards.

It's likely 802.11x, x being a variable for either b, a, or g. Mac OS X supports b and g (in fact, Apple has been shipping these wireless standards before most manufacturers were even thinking about it).
  • Reply 2 of 11
    whisperwhisper Posts: 735member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Steve

I don't think they mean 802.1x, because that could be quite a few IEEE standards.

It's likely 802.11x, x being a variable for either b, a, or g. Mac OS X supports b and g (in fact, Apple has been shipping these wireless standards before most manufacturers were even thinking about it).

I'm friends with the guy who's administering this part of their network. It's 802.1x, not 802.11x.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    802.1x is a bastard. It prevents me from using my Airport at ALL at URI except a few places. It's Microsoft Security.? There are 3rd party apps like Brickhouse or Meetinghouse or whatever but I couldn't get them to work with a certificate. People tell me 10.3 will include 802.1x so cross your fingers! And hopefully no more Colonel Panic for SMB!
  • Reply 4 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

802.1x is a bastard. It prevents me from using my Airport at ALL at URI except a few places. It's Microsoft Security.? There are 3rd party apps like Brickhouse or Meetinghouse or whatever but I couldn't get them to work with a certificate. People tell me 10.3 will include 802.1x so cross your fingers! And hopefully no more Colonel Panic for SMB!

Yeah, my friend said 10.3 would support it, but I just wanted to be sure. 10.3 should be out by the time UTD switches from BlueSocket (don't ever use that system), but I wanted to hear it from some one who's more up on OS X.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Whisper

Yeah, my friend said 10.3 would support it, but I just wanted to be sure. 10.3 should be out by the time UTD switches from BlueSocket (don't ever use that system), but I wanted to hear it from some one who's more up on OS X.

Well, there's a menu option in Internet Connect for 802.1X, so I'd guess yes, though I have no clue if it's implemented yet.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by MCQ

Well, there's a menu option in Internet Connect for 802.1X, so I'd guess yes, though I have no clue if it's implemented yet.

In 10.2 or 10.3?
  • Reply 7 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by Whisper

In 10.2 or 10.3?

10.3, build 7B28.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by MCQ

10.3, build 7B28.

Cool, thanks .
  • Reply 9 of 11
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Excellent. Does it handle certificates?
  • Reply 10 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

Excellent. Does it handle certificates?

Not familiar with 802.1x, so you'll have to let me know what does/doesn't help. Under config options, I see authentication protocols: TTLS, TLS, LEAP, PEAP, MD5

TLS mentions something about a certificate needing to be in Keychain Access before using it.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    synpsynp Posts: 248member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MCQ

Not familiar with 802.1x, so you'll have to let me know what does/doesn't help. Under config options, I see authentication protocols: TTLS, TLS, LEAP, PEAP, MD5

TLS mentions something about a certificate needing to be in Keychain Access before using it.

802.1x uses EAP authentication. Those strings there are EAP methods. TLS indeed uses certificates. TTLS and PEAP use TLS (with its certificates) to authenticate the server, and then use the TLS encryption to authenticate the user using some kind of user/password. TTLS is more Microsoft, while PEAP is more Cisco, but both accomplish the same thing.

So the answer is yes. They do support certificates.